potassium and pkd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• potassium and pkd

Hi everyone. I have been getting some different information about nutrition and restrictions at certian websites. My boyfriend has pkd and while I was researching I came across an article from a pkd website saying that potassium rich foods are benefical in the early stages. It then says that rats fed low potassium diets have larger kidney cysts then those fed high potassium diets. That kinda goes against everything else I have been reading. If anyone can help me out with which this I'd be grateful. Thanks!

Originally posted by jdhsinger View Post
    Hi everyone. I have been getting some different information about nutrition and restrictions at certian websites. My boyfriend has pkd and while I was researching I came across an article from a pkd website saying that potassium rich foods are benefical in the early stages. It then says that rats fed low potassium diets have larger kidney cysts then those fed high potassium diets. That kinda goes against everything else I have been reading. If anyone can help me out with which this I'd be grateful. Thanks!

Yes, PKD kidneys are different and people with PKD do need a high potassium diet. My husband has had to make an effort to keep his potassium levels high enough. He has been on dialysis since 2/5/07and still has to make sure he is eating high potassium foods; fortunately he likes potatoes, tomatoes and cantalope.

BTW, this fact about PKD kidneys and potassium is not well known in the renal medical community. We actually had a nutritionist at the dialysis clinic give my husband advice about keeping his potassium intake low, even after telling her that he has PKD. She actually listened when I told her that PKD kidneys are different and she took down the web address of the PKD Foundation pkdcure.org. to confirm what I was telling her. Not all medical professionals are that open to education.

Comment

hhmmm.....My husband has PKD and potassium is a huge no-no.
      His levels were way too high and he was ordered to the er to have blood tests taken
      because he was in danger of his heart to stop beating.
      We have worked extremely hard getting his diet correct to get his levels down.
      He has been on dialysis a little over 3 years.I think I would talk to the doctors and nurses
      before I would go by the internet. We have also spent a lot of time with the dietician.

It must vary by patient. Maybe it depends on how much function the kidneys have left.
      Hubby's are shot.

Comment

I think the difference might be potassium levels in food vs. blood potassium levels. I had never heard that PKD requires a high potassium diet, but it is interesting information to have. (I, myself, do not have PKD). Whether or not you can eat high potassium foods, there are blood levels of potassium which, if exceeded, threaten heart seizures. To treat high blood levels of potassium you can follow a low potassium diet or you can take a potassium binder (awful stuff with unpleasant side effects). Most kidney patients have to have a low potassium diet because our kidneys cannot eliminate potassium adequately. Don't know if this clears up or muddies the issue, but there it is.
        To the stars through difficulty!

Comment

http://www.pkdcure.org/site/DocServe...pdf?docID=7745

The difference in high or low potassium diet depends on whether the PKD kidneys are still spilling potassium. My husband has been at less than 10% kidney function for almost two years and been on dialysis since 2/5/07. His kidneys are not working well enough for him to survive without dialysis but they are working well enough to spill potassium and he has to stay on a high potassium diet until they stop doing that.

Almost every PKD patient can slow the progression of the disease by being on a high potassium diet -- check out the link and the entire www.pkdcure site.

Comment

I just want to thank you for brining the subject up.
            I did go to the PKD site yesterday before I posted.
            Since our daughter has a chance of inheriting PKD it is great information
            to have and I had never heard it before.

Comment

Thanks so much for your replys! It's so hard to keep all the info out there straight. It was reassuring to see other people with the same facts I had. Also Black that is SCARY about the nutritionist having the wrong facts, but good that they listened to you about it. Thanks again guys!

Comment

Working...
              X