Extremely hungry after dialysis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extremely hungry after dialysis

My partner is struggling to manage his hunger after dialysis sessions. He dialyses nocturnally every second night at home and the following day he is starving hungry all day, no matter how much he eats. We have tried upping his protein intake, having bigger breakfasts but nothing seems to be helping. He used to be overweight but has been a healthy weight for the past 4 years. We are worried that he is gaining weight due to this hunger and we've already had to adjust his ideal weight by 2kgs since February.

Does anyone else on dialysis have this problem? Any tips?

Originally posted by kimness
    My partner is struggling to manage his hunger after dialysis sessions. He dialyses nocturnally every second night at home and the following day he is starving hungry all day, no matter how much he eats. We have tried upping his protein intake, having bigger breakfasts but nothing seems to be helping. He used to be overweight but has been a healthy weight for the past 4 years. We are worried that he is gaining weight due to this hunger and we've already had to adjust his ideal weight by 2kgs since February.

Does anyone else on dialysis have this problem? Any tips?

Seems he's getting very good dialysis unless he's getting Low sodium haemodialysis which reduces interdialytic fluid consumption but paradoxically increases post-dialysis thirst.........in turn causing a crave for salt......

You can read more about this study here...
    http://ndt.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/co...ull/19/11/2883
    My Blog Site
    Http://www.dailyhemo.org
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

I've read throught the article and it's a little confusing. Could you shed some light on it for me?

Also, is it possible that dialysing with a higher UF rate is causing this? I was just thinking about it and he has been dialysing at a UF of 3.0 most sessions recently.

Comment

Originally posted by kimness
        Thanks for the reply.

I've read throught the article and it's a little confusing. Could you shed some light on it for me?

Also, is it possible that dialysing with a higher UF rate is causing this? I was just thinking about it and he has been dialysing at a UF of 3.0 most sessions recently.

That article is just research and doesn't prove anything yet but gives a hint of what it may be but doesn't really prove it. Basicly what they're saying is that it may be the dialysate sodium concentration [Na] that may be causing that, so by adjusting it to a lower setting may solve it somewhat....

But you say he's on Nocturnal? How many hours is he dialyzing?
        My Blog Site
        Http://www.dailyhemo.org
        sigpic

Comment

Dialysis can have that effect but IMO it probaby is being compounded by the fact that blood sugar is usually low in the morning because the body has been fasting all night.

The only thing I have found that helps me is to eat a very high protein bar with some low glycemic carbs before dialysis and then a high protein, low fat meal with a mixture of high and low glycemic carbs after dialysis.

Instead of a big breakfast it would be better to eat a smaller meal and then have a snack about 2 hours later. Trying to eat 4-6 meals plus 2-3 snacks throughout the day in an effort to keep BS steady thoughout the day.

Comment

Working...
          X