Green Tea All Day Long?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green Tea All Day Long?

Newly Dx stage 3B, GFR 38, Non-diabetic, no hypertension.
    I make a gallon of iced green tea using 3 family sized Lusanne Green Tea Bags, 1/4 cup Splenda and 1/4 cup cup sugar. I sip on it all day long. My husband thinks that it doesn't count as drinking water... I disagree.
    Any input welcome. Thanks in advance
    Save
    Last edited by moyerclan; 01-08-2017, 09:50 PM.

Originally posted by moyerclan View Post
    Newly Dx stage 3B, GFR 38, Non-diabetic, no hypertension.
    I make a gallon of iced green tea using 3 family sized Lusanne Green Tea Bags, 1/4 cup Splenda and 1/4 cup cup sugar. I sip on it all day long. My husband thinks that it doesn't count as drinking water... I disagree.
    Any input welcome. Thanks in advance
    Save

I think there is a much bigger problem going on here. Let me, first, answer your main question. Yes, Green Tea is a water replacement.

However, the bigger problem is with the added sugar. You are drastically over-consuming sugar for the day with your green tea alone, not to mention sugar from other sources. I have a great post on sugar consumption shown here where I relate it to Halloween. https://www.experiencepaleo.com/regu...lloween-candy/

The main idea is to actually figure out your maximum grams of sugar you should strive for each day.

First: Determine your Daily Calorie Intake - usually somewhere between 1200 calories and 1800 calories

Second: Find your Maximum Sugar Calories. Maximum 10% of your Daily Calorie Intake should come from sugar. So take your Daily Calorie Intake [above] and multiply that by 0.10

Third: There are 4 calories per gram of sugar. So Divide the Maximum Sugar Calories by 4.

Example:
    1200 daily calories
    1200*0.1 = 120 sugar calories max
    120/4 = 30 grams of sugar per day - MAX

So, lets circle back:
    1/2 cup of sugar is roughly 100-125 grams [can vary depending on the measured weight or nutritional information of the type of sugar]. This is almost 4 TIMES the maximum amount of sugar you should have per day.

Even if you only drank 1/2 of the tea you would still be be ingesting twice as much sugar than you need for the day, but would most likely not be drinking enough water.

Please...please...lower the sugar over a week's time with a goal on eliminating the sugar all together. Your body...and your kidneys...will greatly appreciate it.

[side note:] your kidneys have to work extra hard ridding your body of sugar. Since, they don't quite work well, it might be another reason to lower the sugar.

Comment

1/4 cup sugar in a gallon of green tea (ignoring the 1/4 Splenda) is a LOT??? That hardly seems possible.... ?

And yes, I only drink about a half of the gallon per day. Decaffinated too.

Comment

Your gfr is 38 and your on dialysis?

Comment

I am also planning to take the detox tea upon my friend's suggestion. She takes it for body weight and fat loss. The detox tea has a unique and natural composition of different ingredients. The ingredients it contains also facilitate digestion. I am going to try it for fat loss.

Comment

Green tea is fantastic. It has so many health benefits but is useless with all that sugar.

Comment

Even better chaga tea look it up

Comment

anybody drink homemade parsley tea & is it compatible with most prescription drugs?

Comment

Working...
                X