I am lost,and scared

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am lost,and scared

My husband is 33, weighs 154 pounds( he somehow gained 12 pounds in a week without eating much)
    He is also diabetic with an a1c of 7.5(down from 12)Type one
    He has high blood pressure but it is better lately 140/80 round about
    His bun is ratio is 11.8
    His micro albumin urine normalized is 787
    They say his gfr is 21 down from 30 in July

He wakes up with a puffy face, says he cannot breath right( heavy chest he says) only urinates once a day and it takes a good five minutes.
    He sleeps most of the time,gets winded walking to the fridge for insulin
    Says he is weak

Just tell me, please the doctors say he is doing ok

Anyone tell me the truth, this is bad right? I am going to be a widow? Right? They say the list is not an option for now,and he refuses dialysis....it's over huh?

I am not asking sadistically, I just another a 'surprise' type of person, I do not like randomness , I just need to know. I have kids, three of them. Holy crap I am scared.

Originally posted by hopeforscars View Post
    My husband is 33, weighs 154 pounds( he somehow gained 12 pounds in a week without eating much)
    He is also diabetic with an a1c of 7.5(down from 12)Type one
    He has high blood pressure but it is better lately 140/80 round about
    His bun is ratio is 11.8
    His micro albumin urine normalized is 787
    They say his gfr is 21 down from 30 in July

He wakes up with a puffy face, says he cannot breath right( heavy chest he says) only urinates once a day and it takes a good five minutes.
    He sleeps most of the time,gets winded walking to the fridge for insulin
    Says he is weak

Just tell me, please the doctors say he is doing ok

Anyone tell me the truth, this is bad right? I am going to be a widow? Right? They say the list is not an option for now,and he refuses dialysis....it's over huh?

I am not asking sadistically, I just another a 'surprise' type of person, I do not like randomness , I just need to know. I have kids, three of them. Holy crap I am scared.
    Hopeforscars,

In my opinion, it sounds like the classic signs of needing dialysis. Your GFR is still a bit high for dialysis, but everyone is different. There may be some meds that may help if not already on.

How much does your husband urinate? Is he on any type of diuretic such as lasix? Your docs should be educating you along the way instead of waiting until the symptoms occur. I would suggest reading an articel titled " What nephrologists should tell their patients about renal replacement options" Here is a link to the file. Just click on "download" when you go to the link and it will open a pdf file up. It is very good reading and makes you aware what we are not told until something happens or we ask.

What Nephrologists should tell their patients about renal replacement options

Here is a link that explains the most common lab values in people with kdiney failure/dialysis...
    Understanding your Lab values

Do not be afraid to question your doc as well as educate yourselves on what caused the kidney failure as well as what all the labs and other tests mean. Dont leave it up to the docs to come right out and tell you everything up front even though it is law to inform you about all optoins.

Keep us updated.

///M3Riddler
    Last edited by M3Riddler; 11-12-2012, 05:31 PM.
    NxStage - Since April - 06
    Facebook: Dialysis Discussion Uncensored

Comment

His kidney failure is due to the fact that he never tried to keep his blood sugars under control.
      When I met him his A1C was 17.8
      He also didn't take care of his blood pressure.
      Basically diabetic neglect until I met him.
      He doesn't and absolutely refuses dialysis.
      He is not on a diuretic, and he only urinates a few ounces a day, it is orange and frothy
      His doctor doesn't seem to be concerned.

Comment

Working...
      X