High PTH levels/normal calcium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High PTH levels/normal calcium

Hello, i'm fairly new here, but have had CKD Stage 3 for 4 years now. my question - over the last 4 months, my pth levels have been
    creeping up and are now at 116; my nephrologist says don't worry about this, you'll see this from time to time. my calcium levels are normal but my alk phos is also creeping up at 127. I have another appointment with him next month on the 2nd and i was just wondering if someone could give me info on this; my gfr is still at 48, up from 32 and i started drinking more water than i had before. Creatnine is still elevated but stable over the last 2years as well as the bun, elevated and stable.

Has anyone experienced high PTH levels before. thank you and have a great evening.

As CKD patients we have all experienced a higher than normal PTH level.
    While for healthy folks normal PTH levels run at 14-72. Unfortunately for CKD or those on dialysis patients Drs don't treat it unless it goes up in the 400-600's.
    Hopefully your level has come down, or at least remained at where it's at.

Keep us posted.
    I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Comment

Originally posted by Marina View Post
      As CKD patients we have all experienced a higher than normal PTH level.
      While for healthy folks normal PTH levels run at 14-72. Unfortunately for CKD or those on dialysis patients Drs don't treat it unless it goes up in the 400-600's.
      Hopefully your level has come down, or at least remained at where it's at.

Keep us posted.

We as patients need to take charge of our health and demand treatment before the problems happen. Why not try to control or do all we can before we reap the effects of high PTH.. It should be treated immedately and not when it raches a certain level that is sometimes over 10 times the normel level. When it reaches this level, the damage has already started. Do we wait months to start antibiotics when we have a knwn infection?.... Of course not.
      Just because we are on dialysis does not make a higher PTH level normal.
      Many nephrologists will treat you as soon as they see that the PTH is rising. We need to educate ourselves and advocate for ourselves. Never be afraid to question our therapy/treatment.

///M3R
      NxStage - Since April - 06
      Facebook: Dialysis Discussion Uncensored

Comment

My PTH jumped up to 190 a little over a year ago when I was in Stage IV CKD. My nephrologist prescribed Calcitriol. About 4 months after starting the Calcitriol my PTH dropped to 70. I continued the daily dose and by mid July when I had started traning for HHD/began dialysis, my PTH had plumetted to 20. My nephrologist had me stop the Calcitriol immediately. Since then, it slowly increased to 90, but at my last lab (early December) it fell back to 45. I do take an over the counter Vitamin D3 supplement at 5000 IU to finally get my Vitamin D level above the 30 threshold and with it put an end to several years of annoying thumb nail cracking. All of my other nutrition values are well in the "green" have been for months. I had and still have residual kidney function and with polycystic kidney disease still make plenty of urine. I've been following the kidney diet since early 2012 - 6 months before starting dialysis and other then 5 day per week 30 liter/2-3/4 hour dialyis, haven't done anything to influence the PTH level. The problem as you and medical science state with CKD is high PTH, which can be treated. I've got the opposite problem and have no idea how to increase my PTH.

Comment

Working...
        X