Protein drinks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protein drinks

All my numbers look good on my monthly report with the exception of albumin at 3.8 (should be 4 or higher)and hemoglobin at 12.9 (SHOULD BE 10-12). I have tried detting more meat and eggs into my diet but it doesn't seem to help. Is ENSURE protein drink a safe alternative and how much would be appropriate

Re: Protein drinks

kkri,

An albumen of 3.8 is not bad at all. Also, as well as the hemoglobin of 12.9 is actually normal. Its CMS that wants the shemoglobin 10-12 due to payment issues of the epo/aranesp
    NxStage - Since April - 06
    Facebook: Dialysis Discussion Uncensored

Comment

Thanks for your post. Most enlightening.
      I FIGHT ANY NEGATIVE THOUGHTS TO KEEP A POSITIVE OUTLOOK OF LIFE!

Stage 5 CKD / Non diabetic, Controlled HBP / Diagnosed with SLE - Feb 1975 / Remission - July 2003 / Diagnosed with Lupus Kidney Disease - 1989 / Fistula installed - Aug 2011 / Ballooned - May 2012 / May not be candidate for kidney transplant or PD(Blood transfusion; stomach hernia repair, caesarian birth, etc.)
      http://jmirenal.blogspot.com (MY JOURNEY)

Comment

my dietician told me i can buy that whey protein powder or the julian micheals protien powder and u can purchase them with food stamps
        ESRD since 2004 started HEMO In 2004 recently switched to PD in December 2011
        OPEN HEART SURGERY 2005 and 2010
        I have 2 mechanical valves
        GALL BLADDER SURGERY 2010
        I have been on the transplant list since
        August 07, 2009

Comment

At dialysis they give me a supplement drink called ProStat. Maybe your center has that?

Comment

My husband uses LiquaCel 16 grams of protein. Comes in 32oz. The only place that we can buy it is at Target Pharmacy or they will order it for you. His numbers are always above 4.0.

Comment

Originally posted by wwwmarge View Post
              My husband uses LiquaCel 16 grams of protein. Comes in 32oz. The only place that we can buy it is at Target Pharmacy or they will order it for you. His numbers are always above 4.0.
              hi marge, i was curious, the liquaCel that your husband takes for his protein intake, dpes it taste OK, because i have tried so many protein drinks, throughout my 12 years on PD, because yes, i do have issues with low protein intake on PD, i didn't have these issues on hemo, but i was told, that everytime i would drain, it would eliminate an excessive amount of my protein, i tried my best to obtain more protein from the foods and drinks, that i consume, but a supplement truly needed to be prescribed. However, i have found a protein drink, which has a fruity taste, called resource, and it is by the makers of boost, (in which i don't particularly like, because of its milky substance), but these resource that i am mentioning, taste pretty OK, especially when they are ice cold, but they can only be purchase at an outside distributor, in which i am sure your dietitian can provide the purchasing info for you. If this liquaCel has a tolerable taste, then i think i will give it a try, especially since it provides 16 grams of protein, vs. my resource fruit drinks, which provides 8 grams of protein, it comes in three flavors - orange, peach & berry, but you can get it in a variety pack as well, they are individual juice boxes, just thought i'd share this with others out there, who could be challenged with low protein levels. i hope to hear from you real soon. take care and all the best to your husband.
              Glo
              Glo

Comment

We tried ProStat but my husband couldn't stand the taste, no matter which flavor I bought. I ended up donating five unopened new bottles to our nephrologist. I kept one just in case we really needed a lot of protein without liquid intake.

We ended up using a powdered whey protein powder called Designer Whey, which we buy at Trader Joe's for about $12 for a can with 13 servings. It comes in chocolate or vanilla.One scoop has 18 g protein and 100 calories. I mix one scoop of this with 8 oz of vanilla or chocolate almond milk. I also sometimes add a scoop to soup or something I am cooking. One scoop Prior to discovering this we used (and still do at times, particularly when traveling) a drink called Protein (by Premier Nutrition) which we buy at Costco by the case. It has 30 g protein and 160 calories. In a bar form it has 30 g protein and 270 calories.It is made with whey protein. However it has 340 mg of potassium so if you are on hemodialysis and have to watch potassium intake, take that into consideration. We were using three a day and that would be too much potassium for hemodialysis patients. My husband prefers the flavor of the chocolate almond milk with the chocolate Designer Whey powder.

A friend of mine just told me about Chocolate Pea Protein made by Olympian Labs and it ha 25 g protein in just 103 calories. It is made from yellow split peas and is available online for $22 for a one lb 12 oz container with 23 servings.I don't know how the peas are for dialysis patients. My husband is on peritoneal dialysis and thus he has more dietary freedom.
                Last edited by MaHubs; 08-04-2012, 11:52 AM.

Comment

You can use whey Protein, its the safest ways of getting protein out there
                  fire warden | accredited fire training

Comment

Egg whites are very high in protein and low in phosphorous and potassium. I buy pasteurized eggwhites at the grocery store. Cheap!! When I can't get enough protein into my husband at mealtime I make him a smoothie with eggwhites, splenda , fruit and ice cubes. I vary the fruit to keep it interesting.

Comment

Has anyone tried the Meijer brand Whey Protein Powder? I just bought a 2 pound jug of the chocolate flavor but I'm not sure if it's ok or not. My clinic told be to buy a Whey Protein supplement but they didn't have any specific one to suggest.

Jon.

Comment

Hi Jon, why are you wondering if it's good or not? I've never tried the meijer brand I bought one from walmart can't remember the brand it's been awhile I realize that isn't much helpful but just wondering if you've never tasted them before they are def. an acuired taste sometimes it helps if your able to add things to it to cover the protein taste like peanut butter they actually have powdered p. butter now how crazy is that?? Take care

Comment

I haven't opened it yet so I don't know how bad it tastes. The protein stuff they give me at dialysis is like drinking battery acid. This stuff can't be any worse tasting, right? I was hoping to find out how much phosphorus is in the different protein drinks too but I haven't been able to find anything online. The one I bought at Meijer is the chocolate flavor and says it has cocoa powder in it. I'm not sure if that's a bad thing either. At dialysis they tell me I can't have chocolate...

Jon.

Comment

The phosphorous levels and potassium levels should be on the container. I drink Choclate (regular) Ensure; it has 30% phosphorous--which I don't know what means take your binders with and 390mg potassium which our mg should stay under 2800mg/day. Hope this helps.

Comment

Also found Atkins bars from my friend (very low in phos and potassium). Come in chocolate and peanut butter and chocolate,nougat and peanuts too.

Comment

Working...
                              X