advice on drs. and labs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advice on drs. and labs

ok so hears the newest scoop-I see my neph every 3 months thats when I have labs done but I also have a GP who I see and I explained to his nurse that there is a place called any lab now about 20 miles from me that I can go to and have anything I want done and a basic metabolic panel is $50.00 but why should I pay the gas $$ and $50.00 when I pay lotsa $$ for my ins. and a panel is only $1.10 and its 5 min from my house so I would like to have some standing orders called in because I personally just dont feel safe waiting every 3 months to have labs drawn -I am not a hypocondriact -I am concerned about my health-I have had a tendancy to have higher potassium and truely care and want to be active in taking care of my health--and today my GP got snippy with me for having tests done I hadnt had any done from him sinse 2-8-11 and said call your neph if you are going to have your labs done this often..with that being said my potassium is at a 5.0 and I never eat over 1,000grms in a day usually under & my co2 is 34 it has steadily gone up and up- I have suffered unbelievable headaches for about 10 days headaches that ive never had -where I feel like im being tipped upside down all the blood is in my head the pressure is 1-10 a 10 -it makes my eyes hurt and noone seems to think its a big deal if I say something I feel like im being a hypocondriact and im sick and tired of being made to feel that way or that im being rediculous -my albumin dropped a lil bit from 4.7 to 4.4 which I know is fine but when theres a drop I know im spilling more protein im just frustrated and now just cant stop sobbing ... am I wrong that I care about my health and just want to be in control and that I do feel entitled to have my labs done when I want because I pay a ton of $$ for my ins. how do you all go 3-6 months without having labs and feeling safe in between? I am concerned and frustrated about my co2 and potassium & just want to get them in a lower range -I did call nephs office and asked them to call me about my concerns today -they will call me later so idk...
    ckd,stage3,due to birth defect/refulx,controlled b/p

Re: advice on drs. and labs

Originally posted by jenjen76 View Post
    ok so hears the newest scoop-I see my neph every 3 months thats when I have labs done but I also have a GP who I see and I explained to his nurse that there is a place called any lab now about 20 miles from me that I can go to and have anything I want done and a basic metabolic panel is $50.00 but why should I pay the gas $$ and $50.00 when I pay lotsa $$ for my ins. and a panel is only $1.10 and its 5 min from my house so I would like to have some standing orders called in because I personally just dont feel safe waiting every 3 months to have labs drawn -I am not a hypocondriact -I am concerned about my health-I have had a tendancy to have higher potassium and truely care and want to be active in taking care of my health--and today my GP got snippy with me for having tests done I hadnt had any done from him sinse 2-8-11 and said call your neph if you are going to have your labs done this often..with that being said my potassium is at a 5.0 and I never eat over 1,000grms in a day usually under & my co2 is 34 it has steadily gone up and up- I have suffered unbelievable headaches for about 10 days headaches that ive never had -where I feel like im being tipped upside down all the blood is in my head the pressure is 1-10 a 10 -it makes my eyes hurt and noone seems to think its a big deal if I say something I feel like im being a hypocondriact and im sick and tired of being made to feel that way or that im being rediculous -my albumin dropped a lil bit from 4.7 to 4.4 which I know is fine but when theres a drop I know im spilling more protein im just frustrated and now just cant stop sobbing ... am I wrong that I care about my health and just want to be in control and that I do feel entitled to have my labs done when I want because I pay a ton of $$ for my ins. how do you all go 3-6 months without having labs and feeling safe in between? I am concerned and frustrated about my co2 and potassium & just want to get them in a lower range -I did call nephs office and asked them to call me about my concerns today -they will call me later so idk...
    jenjen, even though you are not on dialysis, because we dialysis pts. have our labs done on a monthly basis, i know from my own experience that the labs can fluctuate, even in a months time, so no girl, it is not wrong for you to be more concerned about what is going on with your health, more often than three months, because in my opinion, if you are in the latter stages of CKD, yes, by all means, those labs should be monitored more closely, than every three months, especially if it is so important to prolonging the progression to Stage 5, so yes girl! stand your ground and keep a close eye on what is needed to keep your kidneys safe and away from dialysis. Your labs will truly keep you informed and alerted to what is necesssary to keep you away from Stage 5.
    Glo

Comment

jenjen, Having your labs done every 3 months in stages 1 through 3 is better than what most Drs. will do. Unless there is an out of the normal range result on any test, to them there is not a medical concern. Drs. look at the blood test results to see if anything is flagged high or low and how much it's out of whack. Since these results fluctuate on a regular basis your doc isn't going to get concerned unless there a significant jump one way or the other. To address your question about how people "accept" being tested once every 3 or 6 months. For myself, it took some agonizing time to accept this diagnosis. Mostly fear of the future--fear of what Marina calls "D Day". I don't believe there will be a cure in my lifetime so I put that notion to rest and focused on improving my lifestyle. Learning is key to maintaining function and also in preparation in case I need dialysis someday. So now I live my life, don't sweat the ckd much and be thankful I am only stage 3. When lab time rolls around (now every 6 months) I get anxious for the results. That will probably never change. But I do not stress over slight changes anymore and I think in time you will relax more too. "Acceptance" does not mean your giving in to this disease. It means you will go on with your life in the most normal fashion possible without it beating you up. All we can do is try our best at maintaining our function. If we follow our individual recommended diets, follow our Drs. advice and get ourselves in the best physical and mental condition then our job is well done. I can feel your pain and anziety in your post and I'm so sorry your struggling. I hope your able to resolve these issues with your Dr. to where you feel comfortable.

Toni
      May you always have Love to share, Health to spare, and Friends that care

Acute Kidney Function Loss 12/07 - GFR 39
      Current GFR 46 - Stage 3 - Controlled HBP

Comment

Thankyou very much for your thoughtful input-I really do appreciate you for taking the time to respond-I did talk to my nephs office today and I do feel better about the situation-we are going to recheck the labs in 1 week and I am just going to continue to eat very little potassium and drink plenty of water-On a GREAT NOTE-My protein has went down in my urine -I normally spill1500mg in a 24 hr urine..TODAY IT WAS """"414""""".. something positive to focus on today ..thankyou again!!!!
        ckd,stage3,due to birth defect/refulx,controlled b/p

Comment

Way to go Jen, thats great news on your 24 hr. urine test. And I'm glad you were able to resolve your concerns by talking to your Neph. Have a happy day!
          May you always have Love to share, Health to spare, and Friends that care

Acute Kidney Function Loss 12/07 - GFR 39
          Current GFR 46 - Stage 3 - Controlled HBP

Comment

Originally posted by Tonia View Post
            Way to go Jen, thats great news on your 24 hr. urine test. And I'm glad you were able to resolve your concerns by talking to your Neph. Have a happy day!
            First, Tonia, i really liked your words of wisdom about jenjen's plight, as i see you have become a pro and very knowledgeable about the monitoring of stages of CKD, (in which back in 1990, when i was first diagnosed with ESRD, there was no mention of monitoring the stages fo CKD), holding your own in stage 3, Way to go Girl!

Now, Jenjen, i am also commending you on a great job with the progress of your CKD, keep up the good work!

All the best to you both,
            Glo

Comment

I remember the first 24hour urine I did. I was spilling out 7900.
              Diagnosed with Alport Syndrome in 2004.
              Began PD on February 21st, 2011.
              On Transplant List since June 2010.

Comment

Working...
              X