Scared

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scared

Hello, I am really frightened by my blood results. I couldn't get into my dr. until later this week. I am 42 year old female, with GFR of 55 from a routine blood test at work. I looked back at my blood tests from the past two years and they said reduced GFR. I didn't even bother to google what it meant, b/c I thought it was nothing. I'm frustrated that my dr. didn't mention it as a problem back then. I've been on ACE inhibitor for several years for HBP. My blood pressure was controlled well, until I realized that I probably have CKD. Has anyone had GFR of 55, with creatinine of 1.09, then found that they were ok? I watched my dad go through dialysis and amputations as a result of poor blood circulation. I am so scared that my bp is soaring. I feel like I should take more of my lisinopril until I can get into my dr... Any advice is appreciated.
    Shari, age 43
    Creatinine 1997: 1.0
    Creatinine May 2011: 1.16 Diagnosed w/ renal insufficiency by family doctor
    August 2011: Nephrologist did not feel I have kidney disease, although my eGFR is 58
    HBP: controlled with lisinopril

Re: Scared

Welcome sderossett, Don't adjust your meds. without your Dr.s say so. But do keep track of your bp and call his office if it's running high. It's good that your GFR has stayed stable at 55 over the last 2 yrs. A few things you can start doing now... drink plenty of water as your creatinine will be higher if you are dehydrated. Don't take any ibuprofan drugs such as motrin, advil, and alleve. Use tylenol for pain or whatever your Dr. prescribes. Talk with your Dr. about further testing or seeing a Nephrologist to confirm a diagnosis of ckd. If you have ckd request to see a dietician. You can possibly keep your kidney function stable by eating correctly according to your labs. We all have different restrictions so it's important to get help from a dietician. And ask for a copy of your lab report so you can keep an eye on things. It's always a good idea to make a list of questions and concerns prior to seeing the Dr. And take someone with you if possible so they can help remember whats being said.

Toni
    May you always have Love to share, Health to spare, and Friends that care

Acute Kidney Function Loss 12/07 - GFR 39
    Current GFR 46 - Stage 3 - Controlled HBP

Comment

Thank you so much for your reply. I am trying to stay calm, but I'm pretty sure I have CKD. I'm accepting it, drinking lost of water, and avoiding protein. I want to be proactive. I hope you are doing well.
      Shari, age 43
      August 2011: Nephrologist did not feel I have kidney disease, although my eGFR is 58

Comment

sderossett-just wanted to say welcome you picked the right place to come-everyone on here knows how scared I was when first diagnosed -I posted every 5 min lolol-but its ok thats why we are here any questions you have there is typically always someone who has an answer or advice and that has gone through this-you are not alone always know that -people on here truely do care about you its like having a extended family -I wish you the best and im 34 yrs old and the same function as you and spill protein too-so I get it I really really do-I still have my good and bad days -it will get better please try to not over stress !!!
        ckd,stage3,due to birth defect/refulx,controlled b/p

Comment

JenJen - thank you so much for your message! It is so helpful to know that others care. I've told a few friends, and they've been very caring, but I hate to burden them with this... I also feel like I have a UTI, so I got into the dr. tomorrow. I really wish you the best - you have a beautiful family! My kids are 13 and 10 which makes it even harder. I'm so used to worrying about them, and now I'm worried about me, mainly b/c of how it will affect them. I'm hopeful to get good news tomorrow, but I'm grateful to have found such nice people on Davita.
          Shari, age 43

Comment

sderossett, I read your post and could nearly feel your fear. just because your Father had a difficult time, does not mean that will happen to you. it's good that you are getting yourself educated on CKD , with a GFR of 55, you may never have to go on dialysis (Good Lord willing, and the creek don't rise ) so, hang in there and stay positive. ok? I"m sure your children will be amazed at how strong their Mom is :-)
            CAPD (continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis)
            since 7/13/07 with 4 exchanges a day
            kidney function improved after 2 years
            presently at 2 exchanges a day :-)
            diabetic, not on insulin

Comment

Thank you so much, Patty. Dr said there was no protein in urine (yet), but must be sent to lab to see if there is microalbulumin (sp?). He did find microscopic blood, which I could tell bothered him. I'm hoping that the UTI is causing that.... I never thought I'd be discussing my urine on the internet Hopefully I'll have some good news in a few days. I hope there is good news for everyone out there who is suffering from the anxiety of the unknown. It's so unnerving. A friend who suffers from lupus said that if we are rating our days from 1 to 10 (10 being best), and she is having a 4 day, she is determined to make it the best "4" day ever. It's a good way of looking at it all, I think.
              Shari, age 43

Comment

Working...
              X