anyone heard of cushings syndrome??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone heard of cushings syndrome??

is it normal for people that have ckd to have cush syndrome? it has to deal with adrenal glands.
    ckd,stage3,due to birth defect/refulx,controlled b/p

Re: anyone heard of cushings syndrome??

Jen,

I had never heard of it, but this is what I found:
    http://endocrine.niddk.nih.gov/pubs/...s/cushings.htm

What is Cushing’s syndrome?
    Cushing’s syndrome is a hormonal disorder caused by prolonged exposure of the body’s tissues to high levels of the hormone cortisol. Sometimes called hypercortisolism, Cushing’s syndrome is relatively rare and most commonly affects adults aged 20 to 50. People who are obese and have type 2 diabetes, along with poorly controlled blood glucose—also called blood sugar—and high blood pressure, have an increased risk of developing the disorder.

What are the signs and symptoms of Cushing’s syndrome?
    Signs and symptoms of Cushing’s syndrome vary, but most people with the disorder have upper body obesity, a rounded face, increased fat around the neck, and relatively slender arms and legs. Children tend to be obese with slowed growth rates.

Other signs appear in the skin, which becomes fragile and thin, bruises easily, and heals poorly. Purple or pink stretch marks may appear on the abdomen, thighs, buttocks, arms, and breasts. The bones are weakened, and routine activities such as bending, lifting, or rising from a chair may lead to backaches and rib or spinal column fractures.

Women with Cushing’s syndrome usually have excess hair growth on their face, neck, chest, abdomen, and thighs. Their menstrual periods may become irregular or stop. Men may have decreased fertility with diminished or absent desire for sex and, sometimes, erectile dysfunction.

Other common signs and symptoms include

•severe fatigue
    •weak muscles
    •high blood pressure
    •high blood glucose
    •increased thirst and urination
    •irritability, anxiety, or depression
    •a fatty hump between the shoulders
    Sometimes other conditions have many of the same signs as Cushing’s syndrome, even though people with these disorders do not have abnormally elevated cortisol levels. For example, polycystic ovary syndrome can cause menstrual disturbances, weight gain beginning in adolescence, excess hair growth, and impaired insulin action and diabetes. Metabolic syndrome—a combination of problems that includes excess weight around the waist, high blood pressure, abnormal levels of cholesterol and triglycerides in the blood, and insulin resistance—also mimics the symptoms of Cushing’s syndrome.

click on link on top of page to read more
    I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Comment

Thankyou Marina!!

Comment

I have heard of it. Same symptoms as someone on Prednisone which is a Cortisol. I also have no adrenal glands so am on high amounts of Prednisone. This is why I am familiar with this even though I don't actually have Cushings.

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikiped...g%27s_syndrome

There are several possible causes of Cushing's syndrome.
        Exogenous vs. endogenous

Hormones that come from outside the body are called exogenous; hormones that come from within the body are called endogenous.
        The most common cause of Cushing's syndrome is exogenous administration of glucocorticoids prescribed by a health care practitioner to treat other diseases (called iatrogenic Cushing's syndrome). This can be an effect of steroid treatment of a variety of disorders such as asthma and rheumatoid arthritis, or in immunosuppression after an organ transplant. Administration of synthetic ACTH is also possible, but ACTH is less often prescribed due to cost and lesser utility. Although rare, Cushing's syndrome can also be due to the use of medroxyprogesterone

Endogenous Cushing's syndrome results from some derangement of the body's own system of secreting cortisol. Normally, ACTH is released from the pituitary gland when necessary to stimulate the release of cortisol from the adrenal glands.
        • In pituitary Cushing's, a benign pituitary adenoma secretes ACTH. This is also known as Cushing's disease and is responsible for 70% of endogenous Cushing's syndrome.

• In adrenal Cushing's, excess cortisol is produced by adrenal gland tumors, hyperplastic adrenal glands, or adrenal glands with nodular adrenal hyperplasia.

• Finally, tumors outside the normal pituitary-adrenal system can produce ACTH that affects the adrenal glands. This final etiology is called ectopic or paraneoplastic Cushing's syndrome and is seen in diseases like small cell lung cancer.
        Angie
        Kidney KornerDialysis Ethics Forum Kidney PixAwareness Shirts KidneySpace Donor Search
        I will be walking a Kidney Walk in Ontario Canada Sept 18th 2011
        • Peritoneal Dialysis = 4 yrs
        • Hemo Dialysis (in center) = 2 yrs
        • 2 kidney transplants = 1990 - 2001 & 2007 to present

Comment

ok this may be a stupid question I havent looked into this yet but I was wondering if someone was having major probs with adrenal glands -like potassium and many other issuess would it be smart to have them removed? Or can you have a adrenal gland transplant{lol}?? when you get a new kidney does it come with a adrenal gland?

Comment

Originally posted by jenjen76 View Post
            ok this may be a stupid question I havent looked into this yet but I was wondering if someone was having major probs with adrenal glands -like potassium and many other issuess would it be smart to have them removed? Or can you have a adrenal gland transplant{lol}?? when you get a new kidney does it come with a adrenal gland?
            I don't know the answer to any of that except the last part. No usually the new kidney doesn't come with the adrenal gland as they are in the habit of removing it (as usually people have their original kidneys still). I asked about this AFTER my 2nd transplant and they said if they had known I didn't have my original kidneys (my first transplant was at a children's hospital many years earlier) they would not have cut it off. You could however discuss this before transplant time so they know to leave it on. All depends on the situation. Also all depends on the surgeon and the hospital. Every place is different and I can only talk about my own experiences. Doesn't mean it would be that way where you are.
            Angie
            Kidney KornerDialysis Ethics Forum Kidney PixAwareness Shirts KidneySpace Donor Search
            I will be walking a Kidney Walk in Ontario Canada Sept 18th 2011
            • Peritoneal Dialysis = 4 yrs
            • Hemo Dialysis (in center) = 2 yrs
            • 2 kidney transplants = 1990 - 2001 & 2007 to present

Comment

Working...
            X