High protein in blood, can't transplant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High protein in blood, can't transplant

Our dear 19 year old friend with CKD has just been told that because of high protien in his blood he cannot have a transplant at this time. He was told that it causes him to clot too quickly. He will (unless something changes) be on dialysis within the year. Cannot do the hemodialysis because the ports would clot. After he is on peritoneal dialysis they will give him medication that will reduce the protein but will finish off his kidneys. Anyone care to share any insight? Seems they could do a blood exchange just before the transplant but I am not in the medical field so my understanding is limited.

Re: High protein in blood, can't transplant

Just curious when you say high blood protein -how high is it?
    ckd,stage3,due to birth defect/refulx,controlled b/p

Comment

Originally posted by mumsy View Post
      Our dear 19 year old friend with CKD has just been told that because of high protien in his blood he cannot have a transplant at this time. He was told that it causes him to clot too quickly. He will (unless something changes) be on dialysis within the year. Cannot do the hemodialysis because the ports would clot. After he is on peritoneal dialysis they will give him medication that will reduce the protein but will finish off his kidneys. Anyone care to share any insight? Seems they could do a blood exchange just before the transplant but I am not in the medical field so my understanding is limited.
      Mumsy,

Can you give more detail? If he is clotting too fast, they do have procedures that can control clotting. Can you find out what test they did and what the result was?
      Unfortunately, there is not enouph detailed info to go off of to help you yet without guessing...

///M3R
      NxStage - Since April - 06
      Facebook: Dialysis Discussion Uncensored

Comment

What information do you need and I will try to get it. Remember I am a layman so I am going to do my best.

Comment

Well he will be getting more bloodwork tomorrow. 4 weeks ago his create was 2.1 and two weeks ago it was 3.0 also his phosphorus was higher. It seems with this usually slowly progressing disease that he is the unusual one.

Comment

Update...3 and 1/2 weeks makes a big difference in his condition. he is now in hospital getting ready to have both a paretineal port and a hemodialysis port put in. his create is rising now by about 1 per day. Seems he cannot wait for the paretineal to heal before needing dialysis ergo the hemo in the mean time.
            Gods will be done.

Comment

hello Mumsy, you'll be suprised how quickly your friend will bounce back from the edge (so to speak) hang in there and give your support, you sound like a very caring person.
              dialysis will make him feel better very quickly and it isn't rocket science, very do-able. mabe you could suggest this site for him , I'm sure he has lots of questions!
              CAPD (continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis)
              since 7/13/07 with 4 exchanges a day
              kidney function improved after 2 years
              presently at 2 exchanges a day :-)
              diabetic, not on insulin

Comment

Thank you for your support. The hemo port was put in yesterday and he has had two treatments. The belly one goes in tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                X