vitaminD/potassium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vitaminD/potassium

has anyone heard of vit. D affecting potassium one way or the other?
    ckd,stage3,due to birth defect/refulx,controlled b/p

Re: vitaminD/potassium

Hi Jen, I have a high potassium level that is watched closely by my endocrinologist. She has me on a strict diet to control it, but also has me on 1200 IU of vitamin D, as well as taking Viactive ( the calcium chew) . I can't imagine she'd let me be on that level of D if it affected my potassium. She goes to the extent of calling me at 9 p.m. to tell me my potassium level, but never mentions that my vitamin D levels are high.
    I don't know if this helps. I've also read to take a vitamin D that your nephrologist recommends . When I last saw mine, she had my medicine list, and noticed the high potassium, as well as the vitamin D, but just commented to stay on the low potassium diet. She didn't mention the vitamin D at all. I'm continuing on the regime the endo. has me on, and I'm sure she'll tell me if things change.
    I hope you find the information you want so you can feel at ease. - Beth

Comment

Jen,I was surprised when my GP told me that my Vit. D level was almost depleted. I took the largest dosage my body could handle for 3 months then went on a maintenace dose of 1,000 IU for several months. My potassium levels were never affected by the D supplements. Hope this helps some.

Beth, I was wondering if you would share what your potassium level was at its high and how much daily potassium you are allowed now. Thanks.

Toni
      May you always have Love to share, Health to spare, and Friends that care

Acute Kidney Function Loss 12/07 - GFR 39
      Current GFR 46 - Stage 3 - Controlled HBP

Comment

Toni , A few years ago my potassium level was 6.5 ( the normal range is 3.5 to 5.0) . I only know this because my GP recently checked past years to compare how I'm doing now. She did a potassium level that day and it was 4.7. I seem to hover in the upper 4s . I mentioned that my endocrinologist called me one night ; it was a few months ago, and the level was 5.4
        As far as "what amount I'm allowed to have", I'm really my own doctor. I only have lists of high and low potassium foods, and have had to go online to find the mg of different foods. I've read that 2000mg is considered a low pot. diet "for the average person". I'm only 4 feet 10 1/2 inches tall, so 2000 seems a bit high. I try to limit myself to about 1600 mg. I have no clue whether I'm on the right road or not. I've never seen a nutritionist; no doctor, even my neph has said I need to consult one.
        It's probably time to get off the island and find one, eh? - Beth

Comment

Beth, Thanks for your response. The information guide I use is put out by Northwest Kidney Foundation. It says that most people on hemodialysis can have between 2,000mg-3,000mg a day. With yours running on the high side and you being petite, your smart to limit yourself. A dietician really would help you out alot--makes life much easier plus you can have a sense of knowing exactly where you need to make diet changes. For myself I don't find the diet too restrictive but would be lost without knowing how much and how often I can eat certain foods. Was given extensive lists with nutritional info. from the dietician. Really big help.

Good luck--Toni
          May you always have Love to share, Health to spare, and Friends that care

Acute Kidney Function Loss 12/07 - GFR 39
          Current GFR 46 - Stage 3 - Controlled HBP

Comment

Hi Jen,

I had my vit d (Hydroxy 25) checked and it was 6. My dr said it might as well be 0 since 6 is LOW.

I was put on Vit d 50,000 units for 3 months. That worked for me.

My potassium was always low on PD and it stayed low while on such high dose of Vit D.

Take care!

Marina
            I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Comment

thanks Marina-and how are you doing lately??
              ckd,stage3,due to birth defect/refulx,controlled b/p

Comment

Hi,
                I am in CKD Level 2. My Vit D (total) is 8. Dr. advised me to take Supplements. I am planning to take calcitriol 60000 IU (signle dose)per week for 8 weeks. After seeing website, I feel that it is too much to take 60000 IU/dose. The website recommends only 600 IU/day. Request your comments and any experience in taking it as single dose (Calcium, Phosphorus, PTH levels may increase due to this?). Thanks

Comment

Working...
                X