Platlet count

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Platlet count

Hi all. I'm a stage 3, 40 GFR, IgaN, diabetic. I'm pretty clear on all my lab values except for the Platlet count. It has been high, but not nightmarish high. No one at the MD is explaining why....any input?
    Jenny
    Stage 3 CKD, IgaN 12/10
    Type 2 Diabetic 08/10

Re: Platlet count

I don't really have an answer for you but can guess that maybe your doctors don't know why your platelet count is high. You didn't say what the lab result was so I'm guessing it was out of range. My platelet count was 575,000 at last check which is also high but mine is due to not having a spleen. My spleen was removed because my immune system was attacking and gobbling up my platelets and mine were very, very low prior to my splenectomy. I'm not sure but I think it's better for your count to be too high than too low. Hopefully, someone else will chime in here with an answer for you.

Carol

Comment

Originally posted by Legswilson View Post
      I don't really have an answer for you but can guess that maybe your doctors don't know why your platelet count is high. You didn't say what the lab result was so I'm guessing it was out of range. My platelet count was 575,000 at last check which is also high but mine is due to not having a spleen. My spleen was removed because my immune system was attacking and gobbling up my platelets and mine were very, very low prior to my splenectomy. I'm not sure but I think it's better for your count to be too high than too low. Hopefully, someone else will chime in here with an answer for you.

Carol
      Hi Carol,
      Are you a kidney patient, also? I have FSGS, potentially an immune system disorder, and my mother has ITP, which is a low platelet problem. Doctors suspect her spleen, like you described. She responds for short periods to prednisone, but often has dangerously low platelets. She will not consider having her spleen removed.
      I'm wondering how you decided to have yours removed, and how the spleen disorder is connected to kidney disease. My neph. said they can be related.
      Thanks for any info. you might share.
      Missie
      Diagnosed FSGS 1998
      Related Transplant 2004
      Unrelated Transplant 2009

Comment

Yes Missie, I am a kidney patient with Stage 4 CKD. I've been a diabetic (Type 1) for many, many years. My low platelets were also caused by ITP. I had to undergo several rounds of IVIG treatments in order to get my platelets up high enough to have the splenectomy. My hematologist strongly urged me to have the operation since steriods wreak havoc on blood sugar levels. Ever since my splenectomy, I haven't had a problem with low platelets although I understand the ITP may reappear. I had no idea that the ITP could be related to my kidney problems and really don't think my kidneys are failing because of that but because of many years of diabetes and high blood pressure.

Carol

Comment

Thanks, Carol. It makes sense that your kidney failure is from diabetes. My neph. said that my disease and my mother's are both immune disorders, so we probably have some genetic issue that makes us prone.
          I had IVIG therapy, and it was tough. I'm not sure if the hematologist has discussed diabetes with my mom, but her mother became diabetic from heavy steroid use from asthma. I'll keep your experience in mind.
          It's great we can learn all kinds of things from each other!

Missie
          Diagnosed FSGS 1998
          Related Transplant 2004
          Unrelated Transplant 2009

Comment

How high does your platelet count get? I have had a platelet problem for years, and just recently started showing signs of kidney problems. My official diagnosis is essential thrombocytosis ( overabundance of platelets for no other apparent reason), one of the group of myeloproliferative disorders that make your bone marrow overproduce. I am on marrow suppressants; if not, my platelet count easily tops 1.5 million. Unlike the low platelet counts and red cell counts/hemoglobin of kidney disease, my high platelet count doesn't seem to be related to the new kidney problems since the platelet problem came first by quite a few years.

Depending on high your count gets, you might want to ask your doctor about it at your next appointment. Usually, anything over 600,000 on a regular basis should be questioned, since a lot of people with ET will start to have symptoms or problems over that level. (By the way, 600,000 doesn't affect me at all. But if I go over one million, I have chest related symptoms.)

Comment

This is very interesting to my as I was told many years ago that my platelet count was in the millions. Dr. didn't seem to be concerned then. I think I should find out what it is now. What can this cause?

Comment

HI everyone

I am having problems with a low platlet count and a low white blood count at the moment.

I have been on gout tablets alloprinol for two weeks and had a really bad allergic reaction.

Doctors are concerned that the tablets may not be to blame for the low wbc and platlets and have sent for further investigations.

Has anyone else been affected by gout medication in this way.
                Millie

CKD Stage 4 with protein

Comment

Originally posted by Millie View Post
                  HI everyone

I am having problems with a low platlet count and a low white blood count at the moment.

I have been on gout tablets alloprinol for two weeks and had a really bad allergic reaction.

Doctors are concerned that the tablets may not be to blame for the low wbc and platlets and have sent for further investigations.

Has anyone else been affected by gout medication in this way.
                  Millie,

what is your normal platelet level and how far has it dropped? Did you recently start the allopurinal when everything changed or have you been on it for a while? Also, what is your wbc ?

///M3R
                  NxStage - Since April - 06
                  Facebook: Dialysis Discussion Uncensored

Comment

HI

i was only on the alloprinol for 2 weeks before i had an allergic reaction. My wbc is 1.3 and my platlet count is 37.

I know the platlet count can go much lower my daughter when she was a year old got ITP and had a platlet count of one. Luckily she got over it and it never returned.

My gfr score went from 25 to 18 during the same period. This i am hoping will go back to normal for me when i start to feel better. I am on a high dose of steroid at the moment and will have more blood tests on Monday.
                    Millie

CKD Stage 4 with protein

Comment

Working...
                    X