Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GFR and % of kidney function

Hi all,
    I am new in this forum as my husband is diagnosed recently. I found this forum really helpful.

I have a question regarding kidney function.People usually refer to their kidney function in terms of percentage eg, 50% kidney function etc. My question is how you people calculate the percentage ? Is it same as GFR? For example my husbands GFR is 46,does it mean that 46% of his kidney is now functioning? Please help me clear my confusion.
    Thanks
    Poubis
    My husband has CKD.Age 35, stage 3, diagnosed Oct 2010. HBP from 2006 Nov, which is under control with the help of medications.

Re: GFR and % of kidney function

* Calculate your Glomerular Filtration Rate (GFR), which is the best way to tell how much kidney function you have. You do not need to have another test to know your GFR. Your doctor can calculate it from your blood creatinine, your age, race, gender and other factors. Your GFR tells your doctor your stage of kidney disease and helps the doctor plan your treatment. (See chart "Stages of Chronic Kidney Disease.")
    * Perform an ultrasound or CT scan to get a picture of your kidneys and urinary tract. This tells your doctor whether your kidneys are too large or too small, whether you have a problem like a kidney stone or tumor and whether there are any problems in the structure of your kidneys and urinary tract.
    * Perform a kidney biopsy, which is done in some cases to check for a specific type of kidney disease, see how much kidney damage has occurred and help plan treatment. To do a biopsy, the doctor removes small pieces of kidney tissue and looks at them under a microscope.

My doctor told me that I had 15% of my kidney function and sent me to get a catheter placed. The doctors calculate that for us. To be honest, I was never given my GFR. I did not know enough to ask. They do not measure that on dialysis.

in center hemo dialysis since May 2009
    Sudden ESRD - non diabetic (but have 2 at home)
    turned down for list "lack of support" WHAT!!! starting over at different transplant center)

Comment

Hi Poubis, Yes, your husbands eGFR is the best calculated way to estimate how much kidney function remains. If his eGFR is 46 then he has an estimated 46% function. Often times this can improve. With correct diet and lifestyle changes a person can stay at stage 3 for many years. When I was first diagnosed my GFR was 39. It's been almost 3 yrs. and now it's 46. I'll take any improvement I can get!

Toni
      May you always have Love to share, Health to spare, and Friends that care

Acute Kidney Function Loss 12/07 - GFR 39
      Current GFR 46 - Stage 3 - Controlled HBP

Comment

Want to add something else. I did some reading about this on kidney.org and they say this test is most accurate for people with average weight and body mass. Diabetes also plays a factor. This test is less accurate for the elderly and people under 17.
        May you always have Love to share, Health to spare, and Friends that care

Acute Kidney Function Loss 12/07 - GFR 39
        Current GFR 46 - Stage 3 - Controlled HBP

Comment

Working...
        X