I'm freezing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm freezing

And so is everyone else at my Fenton,MI Davita center.it's colder in there now than when I started dialysis 4 mos ago! I asked the nurse/tech about a month or two ago and nothing improved. So I asked the PA or whatever she is and she said she'd she if overseeing nephrologist - I've yet to meet in person since starting in May. I wouldn't know him if he ran into me.

So I said if the chief doc doesn't have the authority to make patients more comfortable-who DOES?

Then she walked away.

So which illustrious person who's getting paid to not be there makes those decisions?

Re: I'm freezing

They're all "cold," wouldn't you say? Take a bigger, heavier blanket.
    Stage 4 Chronic Kidney Disease, 17% renal function, 11 years
    *Non diabetic *Non dialysis
    High Blood Pressure, controlled

"Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God."
    ~Corrie ten Boom

Comment

I often see patients take a few blankets to hemo unit.
      I've heard that you often get cold because the blood is taken out of your body, and you get cold saline.

But, it's an extreme case you might want to get in touch with http://www.esrdnetworks.org/

http://www.esrdnetworks.org/
      The Forum of ESRD (End-stage Renal Disease) Networks advocates for the organizations that monitor the quality of chronic kidney disease, dialysis and kidney transplant care in the United States.
      Take care!
      I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Comment

You can also ask the technicians/staff to raise the temperature on the machine! It can safely go up to 37, I think...whatever it is, it never starts out that way when we are on treatment (hemodialysis, that is.) It really helps! Plus the extra blanket, of course. I always wear a hat, even in the summer....not just for the heat, but to cover my eyes from the lights. It might help keep you warm. Finally, some patients were gloves especially on their fistula arm, as it is the one exposed. That would help you too. Hope this is useful for you.

Comment

Yeah, it's freezing. And I have Raynaud's, so my hands and feet hurt like heck until they finally go numb. I am still trying to find the combo to stay warm. Haven't hit on it so far. Socks and gloves and hoodies and blankets... I keep adding stuff. Good luck!

Comment

Unfortunatly, this is something that they cannot control. It is a DaVita mandate that the temperature stays between 68 and 72 fahrenheit.
            It seems colder to us because they are removing our blood and it is returned to us at less than 98 degress, which automatically makes us colder.
            Take blankets, gloves, scarves, throws, whatever you need to stay warm.
            They could have been nice and explained it to you. The low temperature helps to keeps you healthy during your treament. Ask about heated blankets or heating pads. They also sell warming packs for use in winter. I would ask before bringing any of those items to the clinic. Hope this helps.

in center hemo dialysis since May 2009
            Sudden ESRD - non diabetic (but have 2 at home)
            turned down for list "lack of support" WHAT!!! starting over at different transplant center)

Comment

Does anyone know if state regulations prohibit use of electric blankets in dialysis facilities? I am soooo cold while on treatment. My center says I can't use an electric blanket because someon burned themselves and filed a lawsuit against them at some point in the past. Do some centers allow electric blankets? Is there any medical reason we should not be able to use electric blankets during treatment?

Comment

Originally posted by Mihrican View Post
                Does anyone know if state regulations prohibit use of electric blankets in dialysis facilities? I am soooo cold while on treatment. My center says I can't use an electric blanket because someon burned themselves and filed a lawsuit against them at some point in the past. Do some centers allow electric blankets? Is there any medical reason we should not be able to use electric blankets during treatment?
                Mihrican,

When I was in-center, I took not only an electric blanket, but also a heating pad with me. Never had any trouble.
                I really doubt there are any state regulations that prohibit electric blankets in a dialysis clinic. If there are such regulations or policy, then the center you are at should be able to provide the paperwork for you to read over. If not, then take your electric blanket, plug it in and enjoy.... Dont even ask if you can bring it in. Just take it.
                Im sure people have filed lawsuites on anything from a piece of trash on the floor to someone talking too loud... If they say anything, ask to read the policy or regulation..

///M3R
                NxStage - Since April - 06
                Facebook: Dialysis Discussion Uncensored

Comment

Working...
                X