GFR Improved ??? Can it really ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GFR Improved ??? Can it really ??

Okay, major confussion. Blood tests in March, April and May showed GFR of 23, 21 then 20. Met with transplant team and Neph. Found Davita and began following the Diet Helper with values recommended by transplant nutritionalist, 60 g protein, 2,000 mg Potassium, 2,000 mg Sodium, 1,000 mg Phosphorus. Lost 60 pound since May and have not tipped over yet.

Now the concern....last weeks blood test showed my GFR at 36....increased from 20 ??? Creatinine went from 3.4 to 2.1.... the transplant team say they have never seen this, unsure if diet could have this impact.

Anyone out there ever hear of anything like this? I am trying to stay positive however do not want to be nieve to the potential of a error in the test etc. Transplant is on hold. Fortunately I have a living donor ready to go. Looking for any thoughts. Thanks

Re: GFR Improved ??? Can it really ??

Originally posted by COPPERTOP View Post
    Okay, major confussion. Blood tests in March, April and May showed GFR of 23, 21 then 20. Met with transplant team and Neph. Found Davita and began following the Diet Helper with values recommended by transplant nutritionalist, 60 g protein, 2,000 mg Potassium, 2,000 mg Sodium, 1,000 mg Phosphorus. Lost 60 pound since May and have not tipped over yet.

Now the concern....last weeks blood test showed my GFR at 36....increased from 20 ??? Creatinine went from 3.4 to 2.1.... the transplant team say they have never seen this, unsure if diet could have this impact.

Anyone out there ever hear of anything like this? I am trying to stay positive however do not want to be nieve to the potential of a error in the test etc. Transplant is on hold. Fortunately I have a living donor ready to go. Looking for any thoughts. Thanks
    Hi Coppertop,
    CONGRATS!!!
    it's very common for GFR to flactuate, but yours is a huge improvement.

My guess..... it's probably due to the diet changes as well as the weight loss.
    Keep doing your diet and exercising, because it's made such a difference.!!
    Hopefully you can stay there for many yrs!!!

take care!

Marina
    I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Comment

Thanks Marina, hoping it is diet related, just having apprehension due to the large change. Hope you find a match soon.

Comment

Keep up the diet I started out with a GFR of 25 went on same diet as yours and GFR went up to 37 in 8 months I started to cheat on diet adding as little as 2 more ounces of meat protein and GFR dropped down to 22 in 4 months I Resumed strict diet and GFR went back up within 10 days to 27 . Needless to say I will stay on strict diet and hope my GFR slowly raises
        Diabetic oct 2011
        CKD Diagnosed 2009
        GFR range 22-33 goes up and down

Comment

Thank you for the response. The knowledge that a variation from strictly following the diet resulting in a drop os motivation to stay on track. While it is a challenge, a transplant would be more challenging. I have become and strong advoacte for the diet, it make one think how many people may be able to delay or avoid a transplat if the diet was more strongly encouraged. Change to te Davita diet presented challenges as with any change, however it was eased by the online menu plan. Thanks again for the response.

Comment

COPPERTOP and nanbridg, Your stories are a testament to how important diet is. Congrats to both of you! No matter what stage we are in, diet plays a significant role with our health.
            May you always have Love to share, Health to spare, and Friends that care

Acute Kidney Function Loss 12/07 - GFR 39
            Current GFR 46 - Stage 3 - Controlled HBP

Comment

COPPERTOP - my husband has had his eGFR stabalize with diet and has at times had it raise too, so yes I do believe it is possible. I am glad of your improvement =) Congrats!!
              ~Angel~

When life knocks you to your knees, your in the perfect position to pray

Comment

I was told in March 2011 that I had reduced kidney function GFR of 56, In July my GFR was 34. So now I'm starting to freak out. I rarely drank water and lived off of soda's. So I cut out the soda's and drink 8 glasses a day of water. Started taking a bunch of vitamins (Cranberry, Acai berry, Omega 3, B-12 and a multivitamin) Joined a gym and try and do some sort of exercise 4 + days a week. They told me I had high blood pressure in march too. Oh and I am 53 caucasian female. Just had blood work done a couple of days ago results came back GFR is 49. So I don't know what to think...From what Ive read online your numbers don't flux that much. This is just tormenting my life...Don't know if I should have my will done or what!

Comment

msbeehavens, Welcome to the forum. Your proactive approach has made you a healthier person and it reflects with an improved GFR. So congrats are in order! Keep up the good work. Keeping your bp in normal range is very important. Seeing a good dietician might be helpful also. Your GFR can fluctuate alot if your dehydrated, ill and even certain meds. can influence it. The fact that yours has improved this much since you have made lifestlyle changes is great. Your pretty new to this diagnosis so give yourself some time to digest it. You will feel better in time. Be sure and get an ok from your Dr. about all vitamins and supplements you take. Some are not kidney friendly. Infact don't take anything over the counter without the ok from your Dr. Continue to share and ask any questions you have. There are alot of great people here who are helpful.

Toni
                  May you always have Love to share, Health to spare, and Friends that care

Acute Kidney Function Loss 12/07 - GFR 39
                  Current GFR 46 - Stage 3 - Controlled HBP

Comment

A happy update on my GFR you can read in Oct comment to this thread my GFR was 25 I have a GFR of33 now diet is soooooo important
                    Diabetic oct 2011
                    CKD Diagnosed 2009
                    GFR range 22-33 goes up and down

Comment

I'm another example of GFR improving when you follow the renal diet. Mine was 46 in early December 2010 and in August of 2011 it was 55. They diet really does plaly an important part in helping your GFR. It is well worth the effort it takes to stay on it. Keep up the good work!!!
                      sigpic distal renal tubular acidosis, stage 3 kidney disease, high blood pressure, osteoperosis, Sjogren's, non-diabetic osteoarthriis and an overactive bladder GFR was 55 as of 8/2/10 Linda

Comment

CONGRATS nanbridg and Madi's Granny on the your GFR increase!!!
                        I'm so happy for you both!!
                        I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Comment

Can't figure out how to start a new thread. I have a question. Do I need to see a nephrologist or a urologist? I was diagnosed with CKD in 2008 but stopped going to the nephrologist (in another city). Now I want to go back but the Dr. has retired and my primary is sending me to a urologist. BUN is 40 and creatinine is 1.5. GFR is 38.

Comment

Originally posted by Faye View Post
                            Can't figure out how to start a new thread. I have a question. Do I need to see a nephrologist or a urologist? I was diagnosed with CKD in 2008 but stopped going to the nephrologist (in another city). Now I want to go back but the Dr. has retired and my primary is sending me to a urologist. BUN is 40 and creatinine is 1.5. GFR is 38.
                            Faye,
                            You need to see a nephrologist first. If he/she thinks it's necessary (or have had issues with UTI's) you'll be sent to one.

Take care

Marina

Comment

I was originally sent to a nephrologist 4 years ago...so I'm wondering why another Dr. is now sending me to a urologist?? New to all this stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X