urinalysis results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• urinalysis results

been having foamy urine persistently for a couple weeks now. had some transient pains in my flank, lost a lot of weight in the last 2 years due to stress/malnutrition. basically i've been through a veritable personal and physical hell, that has bordered on starvation. was concerned about having damaged my kidneys.

went to a free kidney screening today and they did a "Siemens diagnostics Multistix PRO 10LS" test on my urine.

results were:

-negative for pyuria (white blood cells)
    -negative for hematuria (red blood cells)
    - microalbuminuria (protein in urine) 10 mg/L
    - specific gravity 1.010
    - pH 8.0 (i eat a near vegetarian diet, so that probably explains the pH)
    - albumin protein to creatnine ratio: less than 30 mg/g (best possible)

so the results were 100% fine according to them. so my questions are:

1. is this a quality test? like is this thing really worthwhile or is there a huge margin of error here? is a blood test vastly more worthwhile? they didn't do a serum creatnine of my blood, for example.

2. any idea what can explain the persistent, daily foamy urine? is it possible maybe it is cardiac related like maybe i got a DVT somewhere? i had some sharp pains where my right lung is... maybe something else is off?

read a lot about kidney disease and have actually changed my diet to lower phosphate intake. wish you all the best & appreciate any feedback in advance.

regards

-taloots

Re: urinalysis results

guess i answered my own question partially...

http://journals.lww.com/poctjournal/...O_10LS.12.aspx

according to this data, which did 881 tests it seems like the multistix is a pretty reasonable screening test for protein. if anyone else has additional thoughts, thx in advance.

Comment

Hi Taloots,

Urinalysis is a pretty standard test and the numbers are usually quite reliable too.

But just to reaffirm the findings, your doctors can/may order a 24 hr urine collection and perhaps a serum creatinine check. Though, in all likelihood, these fore mentioned tests would comeup to be normal (seeing your indicated urinanalysis values! )

Take care.

Sam

PS: Normally there is a plus/minus 5% error margin for the reported values.

Comment

thx sam. i guess i am still mystified as to why i am seeing bubbles/foamy in my urine, particularly in large amounts in the AM upon waking. it is bizarre.

guess i will go to the doc and get a full work up when my insurance comes in.

appreciate your feedback.

Comment

I understand your confusion. I know that bubbles or foam usually means there's protein in the urine. But my tests are consistently negative for protein. Go figure !!
          Janice

Comment

Working...
          X