Making Sense of my lab numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making Sense of my lab numbers

These are the latest results from my 24 hr urine test as well as a serum creatinine blood test:

serum creatinine 1.43 normal range .76-1.27

creatinine urine 79.5 mg/dl normal range 24-392

creatine urine 24 hr 1057.4 mg 24hr normal range 1000-2000

creatinine clearance 51 ml/min normal range 97-137

(the above range is based on a 1.73 square meter average body surface area)

Protein total urine 26.5 mg/dL normal range 0-15

Protein 24 hr calculated 352.5 mg/24 hr normal range 20-150

How do these numbers look?
    Type II Diabetes & Stage 3 CKD

Re: Making Sense of my lab numbers

Hi djl804,
    To me this looks like CKD in making.

Things arent *too* bad at the point... your serum creatinine is just slightly elevated (What is you BMI??)
    24 hr urine creatinine looks fine and dandy, what medications fo you usually take (for whatever)? certain meds will elevate your blood creatinine levels.

Some proteinuria is there... was there any trace of blood in the urine? i.e. did the report mention it? since its usually microscopic in nature.

Remember, blood-pee tests can't be interpreted in isolation, how is your blood pressure these days? any joint edema? are you diabetic?

All the above factors matter alot

I say, just go on a lower protein diet as a precaution.

Plus, depends on how these numbers look in comparison to your earlier reports.

Cheers,

Sam

Comment

i am diabetic...my dr told me that im probably at stage 3 prior to the exam..she said its nephropathy and has ruled out other causes. my bp is usually in the 120s/80s. my last a1c test was 5.9%

is it reversible at this stage?

Comment

Hi djl804,

Since your renal complications are secondary to diabetes, it is very much possible to atleast significantly slow down if not halt the progression of further renal damage. That is, not uncommon for people to stay at stage 3 for years eg. even 20 yrs.

your BP is a beauty! I have been trying to lower mines but not yet... perhaps, I will need beta blockers in addition to my current ACEI. Mine averages ~ 140/85

has your doc prescribed you anything for proteinuria i.e. to stop the spillage of protein in the urine?

Is your diabetes insulin dependent?

Just aggressively keep your blood sugar in control that will go long way in preserving renal function even without any other hardcore meds

Sam

PS: RE: reversible or not, since the kidney damage is directly related to elevated blood carbohydrates, if your diabetes were to go away... CKD would disappear as well

Comment

Originally posted by samcanbe View Post
          Hi djl804,

Since your renal complications are secondary to diabetes, it is very much possible to atleast significantly slow down if not halt the progression of further renal damage. That is, not uncommon for people to stay at stage 3 for years eg. even 20 yrs.

your BP is a beauty! I have been trying to lower mines but not yet... perhaps, I will need beta blockers in addition to my current ACEI. Mine averages ~ 140/85

has your doc prescribed you anything for proteinuria i.e. to stop the spillage of protein in the urine?

Just aggressively keep your blood sugar in control that will go long way in preserving renal function even without any other hardcore meds

Sam

PS: RE: reversible or not, since the kidney damage is directly related to elevated blood carbohydrates, if your diabetes were to go away... CKD would disappear as well

hi sam,

thanks for your responses. im on a beta blocker as well as ramipiril for the kidneys. my bottom bp number sometimes hits 90..in the morning...i am not insulin dependent but take 2 kinds of diabetes meds. i know most ckd diabetes patients dont hit esrd if they control their diabetes - im hoping to hang on long enough for treatment breakthrough b4 i need dialysis or a transplant.

Comment

Originally posted by samcanbe View Post
            Hi djl804,

Sam

Just spoke to my neph. - she is pleased with these test results, in addition my latest blood tests came in and my serum creatinine is now 1.39. It's gone from 1.8 to 1.39 in the last 3 months (with each blood tests its moved closer to the normal range), is that a substantial improvement or normal bouncing around of numbers?

Comment

Hi, I am Donna and I am new and also confused about my lab results..can someone help me or tell me how to post a question. I was born with 1 kidney, which I never knew, and at a emergency trip to the hospital found a baseball size tumor on the one I had. They removed it which left me with 1/2 kidney. Now my numbers are not good and I don't understand them. I am on a special diet to help.
              creatine...1.7
              potassium..5.0
              phosforus...4.7
              I know these are high, but don't know anything else. I go to a clinic and they rush you in and out so fast you don't no which way you are going. Are these numbers bad?

Comment

Donna,
                I'm surprised your results are as good as they are, since you have only part of a kidney.
                When I was diagnosed, my potassium was 5.3 and my doctor was very concerned about that--too much is dangerous to your heart. So I had to get an emergency med to absorb some of it -- only had to take that once, and my potassium has stayed at around 4.8 ever since. I suggest you go to AAKP.org (American Assn. of Kidney Patients) and ask for their free nutrition counter. It is very useful, in that it gives mineral info for just about every food there is. I use it all the time and feel that it helps me make better choices.

Wishing you the best,
                Janice

Comment

Thank you so much Janice. This is all so scary to me. So, probably, if I can control my numbers, then I most likely will be able to stay off of dialysis. Thank you, Donna

Comment

Working...
                  X