Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

creatinine and GFR readings - USA vs Canadian?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• creatinine and GFR readings - USA vs Canadian?

I noticed on some postings that people state their creatinine level as a 1. something. I'm not sure if this is an American measurement as opposed to Canadian? My creatinine numbers are always in the hundreds. Apparently the "normal" range is 45 - 90. Anything higher suggests compromised kidney functions. Also normal GFR is supposed to be higher than 59 so anything lower suggests damage. Can someone explain the difference and what the equivalents are. Thank you!

Gina
    sigpic

*Systemic Lupus Erythematosus 1995
    *CKD Stage 2 - Lupus Nephritis 2003
    *Peritoneal dialysis April 2010
    *Transplant December 15, 2010 (sister was my donor!)

Re: creatinine and GFR readings - USA vs Canadian?

Originally posted by gavignoni View Post
    I noticed on some postings that people state their creatinine level as a 1. something. I'm not sure if this is an American measurement as opposed to Canadian? My creatinine numbers are always in the hundreds. Apparently the "normal" range is 45 - 90. Anything higher suggests compromised kidney functions. Also normal GFR is supposed to be higher than 59 so anything lower suggests damage. Can someone explain the difference and what the equivalents are. Thank you!

Gina
    Yes that is American. Canadian is what you are familiar with. Are you in Canada?

I will edit this post with more info but just wanted you to know that your post isn't being ignored.

Edit:

In the United States, creatinine is typically reported in mg/dL, while in Canada and a few European countries μmol/litre may be used. 1 mg/dL of creatinine is 88.4 μmol/L.
    The typical human reference ranges for serum creatinine are 0.5 to 1.0 mg/dL (about 45-90 μmol/L) for women and 0.7 to 1.2 mg/dL (60-110 μmol/L) for men. While a baseline serum creatinine of 2.0 mg/dL (150 μmol/L) may indicate normal kidney function in a male body builder, a serum creatinine of 1.2 mg/dL (110 μmol/L) can indicate significant renal disease in an elderly female.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creatinine
    Angie
    Kidney KornerDialysis Ethics Forum Kidney PixAwareness Shirts KidneySpace Donor Search
    I will be walking a Kidney Walk in Ontario Canada Sept 18th 2011
    • Peritoneal Dialysis = 4 yrs
    • Hemo Dialysis (in center) = 2 yrs
    • 2 kidney transplants = 1990 - 2001 & 2007 to present

Comment

Thank you. Yes I'm in British Columbia Canada!

I haven't really looked into it but I'm sure there's info out there on the comparisons. Thanks for taking the time to read my message
      sigpic

Comment

Thank you. Yes I'm in British Columbia Canada!

I haven't really looked into it but I'm sure there's info out there on the comparisons. Thanks for taking the time to read my message
        Okay I edited my post like I said I would (and then I noticed you posted so I might as well have added that to this post).

Hope that explanation helps you. I am in Ontario myself.

This is what I use to convert: http://members.iinet.net.au/~bill/java/creatinine.html

Hey since you are in BC do you ever go to the kidney forums that is based in BC? Sunshine has the other Canadian kidney forums while I run the only one on this side of Canada.

Hers is www.kidney-friends.net and mine is http://kidneykorner.com/smfbb/

Also do you know of the Canadian Kidney Connection?
        Angie
        Kidney KornerDialysis Ethics Forum Kidney PixAwareness Shirts KidneySpace Donor Search

Comment

Hi Angie! I have been checking out various different kidney sites and forums and will definitely look at the ones you suggest. You seem very involved which I think is great! Thank you for sharing
          sigpic

Comment

Hi Angie! I have been checking out various different kidney sites and forums and will definitely look at the ones you suggest. You seem very involved which I think is great! Thank you for sharing
            Thx.
            Angie

Comment

Working...
            X