Any Kayakers out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Kayakers out there?

Kayaking is one of the exercises my husband and have been doing on a regular basis for over 3 years.

IS there anyone who enjoys the sport. We do strickly flatwater, not any whitewater.

I'm sort of wondering about being able to keep kayaking as my CKD progresses. I'm only at stage 3, but have this in the back of my mind. I get tired is all right now, other than getting up during the night to pee.....ugh! grrr!

Thanks for all you out there on this forum, it is nice to be able to just talk with others who are going through the same kinds of "thought processes" as me.

God bless,

Vicki

Re: Any Kayakers out there?

Hi renalnewbie (Vicky). My husband and I also enjoy kayaking and canoeing which we have continued even after dialysis. He is on CCPD (night cycler with PD) and as long as he does not get his catheter site wet, we're "good to go". We solved this with a tegaderm bandages that are waterproof. We coil up the catheter and tape it to his belly and then cover it all with the extralarge tegaderms. They are a little pricey but if this enables him to continue to do something he loves....well, it's worth it!

Best of luck to you both!
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
    It's about learning to dance in the rain. "

Comment

Thank you so much for your post looneytunes!

Now I'm prepared! I know I won't have to give up kayaking if and when "D" comes along

Tonight was a scheduled paddle, but DH was late getting in from work, so instead of doing some paddling, we drove to the lake and just visited. Only one other kayaker was there, (due to the weather I'm sure, it was starting to sprinkle a bit). But it is always fun to get together with this other kayak club member.

Again, I'm happy you and your husband can kayak and it looks like you are interested in a lot of the same things I like to do. Though I don't play pool. Tried once or twice, but it isn't fair to the pool table

God bless,

Vicki

Comment

Hi Vicky: I'm glad this helped alleviate some of your apprehension. Just remember, D does not have to end your life as you know it. It may change some but with a little pre-planning, there will be more good times ahead.

I'm here for you as well as all the other caring members on tthis site. Ask questions all you need to. We are all in this together!
        "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
        It's about learning to dance in the rain. "

Comment

I'm here for you as well as all the other caring members on tthis site. Ask questions all you need to. We are all in this together!

thanks. the part about we are all in this together just made an image of all of us connected with rubber hoses coming out of our belly buttons - drinking coffee. Call me crazy, but that's that truth!

Maybe it's the thought of the nephrologist telling me no coffee. My family doc told me in to drink just water, long before he referred me to see the N. I did stop for a while, but I enjoy the coffee and a diet coke zero once in a while. I'll ask about the coffee when I see him for my 2nd appointment Oct 1.

God bless

Comment

thanks for the info man and please see my sig.

" Rumah Dijual
            mengembalikan jati diri bangsa "

Comment

Working...
            X