headaches! help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

headaches help

I have really big arms. I even need to but the next size up just to fit them in. I was wondering if anyone knows any good exercises to help reduce the size of them. Also has anyone had liposuction on their arms. I would love to here about it.

Comment

headaches

Originally posted by iliotib View Post
      I've been on dialysis for 8 months and I have suddenly been afflicted by headaches. My doctor calls them "cluster headaches". They come on late in my treatment time--usually within the last hour--and they are dibilitating. I have no idea what to do. My blood pressure was high for a time, but with additional meds, that is under control, yet my headaches persist. I have been training for mountain bike race and ride roughly 130 miles per week. Am I dehydrated? I defintely don't drink as I should b/c I'm supposed to keep my fluid intake at around 32 oz per day. My doctor tells me dialysis does not cause headaches, but how can this be so when I have no headache before dialysis?
      I have been on dialysis for about three months now. I still get a headache almost every treatment..My nurse @ dialysis tells me this is normal ,and they will go away in time....HELP

Comment

Re: headaches! help!

I have severe headaches as a reaction to IRON, specifically ferrous sulfate. Migraines are mild compared to these headaches. They started iron at dialysis without telling me, and the crushing headache came on before the end of treatment, it didn't take me long to figure it out! I can take Ferrous Fumerate, the brand in the green box that is time release. Then, I only get the regular reactions: constipation, a little stomach upset, but mild. Can we say brand names here?

Comment

I also have been on home hemo for about 4 months, and all of a sudden my blood pressure has gone up, and the headaches are horrible. I can't stand them. I end up in bed. Is it the electrolytes the BUN swelling my brain, does anyone know what it is, and better yet, does anyone have a cure.
          What caused the BP to go up, and then the headaches?

Comment

I am new to dialysis too only 4 mths......I get blinding headaches sometimes it is so bad I vomit......and the center is grabbing at straws trying to figure it out....I don't get these headaches any other time....It really makes me not want to go for treatment......

Comment

Originally posted by JUL View Post
              I am new to dialysis too only 4 mths......I get blinding headaches sometimes it is so bad I vomit......and the center is grabbing at straws trying to figure it out....I don't get these headaches any other time....It really makes me not want to go for treatment......
              JUL

This is very common to those who go in-center for treatments... There are several reasons why you can get the "dialysis headache"

1. Pulling too much fluid off too fast
              2. Blood flow rate is too high
              3. Pulling too much BUN off too fast.. BUN Headache....BUN rushes back into your head and swells causing headache...

This can be controlled by pulling less fluid off per hour and lowering the blood flow.

It can also be cuased by something called Dialysis Disequilibrium Syndrome which can be caused from the above examples. Here is a link that gives more detail:Dialysis Disequilibrium Syndrome

///M3R
              NxStage - Since April - 06
              Facebook: Dialysis Discussion Uncensored

Comment

Originally posted by M3Riddler View Post
                JUL

This is very common to those who go in-center for treatments... There are several reasons why you can get the "dialysis headache"

1. Pulling too much fluid off too fast
                2. Blood flow rate is too high
                3. Pulling too much BUN off too fast.. BUN Headache....BUN rushes back into your head and swells causing headache...

This can be controlled by pulling less fluid off per hour and lowering the blood flow.

It can also be cuased by something called Dialysis Disequilibrium Syndrome which can be caused from the above examples. Here is a link that gives more detail:Dialysis Disequilibrium Syndrome

///M3R
                Oh wow you are very informative! I didn't know about that but that does make sense! Does cerebral edema have any long lasting effects?
                Angie
                Kidney KornerDialysis Ethics Forum Kidney PixAwareness Shirts KidneySpace Donor Search
                I will be walking a Kidney Walk in Ontario Canada Sept 18th 2011
                • Peritoneal Dialysis = 4 yrs
                • Hemo Dialysis (in center) = 2 yrs
                • 2 kidney transplants = 1990 - 2001 & 2007 to present

Comment

Hi,

I started to have severe headaches and feeling like my heart was stopping, slowing down, pressure on my face and chest at the end of dialysis, ect. I was taking 0.2 clonidine 3xday + 4 other highblood pressures medicine. My bloodpressure stayed 160+.

A nurse suggested that I dialize on Profile 2 (takes fluild off slower). Between my medication (less of it now) plus dializing on Profile 2 my headaches stopped and the other symtoms.

Only problems my bloodpressure started going to low. I stopped taking med before dialysis.
                  Other problem my heart rate started to go high 100+. I had to start taking a med for the heart rate.

Comment

Originally posted by iliotib View Post
                    I've been on dialysis for 8 months and I have suddenly been afflicted by headaches. My doctor calls them "cluster headaches". They come on late in my treatment time--usually within the last hour--and they are dibilitating. I have no idea what to do. My blood pressure was high for a time, but with additional meds, that is under control, yet my headaches persist. I have been training for mountain bike race and ride roughly 130 miles per week. Am I dehydrated? I defintely don't drink as I should b/c I'm supposed to keep my fluid intake at around 32 oz per day. My doctor tells me dialysis does not cause headaches, but how can this be so when I have no headache before dialysis?
                    I have the same problem with the headaches as you do and during dialysis I tried using 2.5 liters of oxygen it seemed to work for about 6 weeks but again I am having headaches again. I am also wondering if my fluid intake has something to do with it. My dry weight never changes no matter how much I eat or drink. So I am going to increase my dry weight by 1 kl. Did you get your headaches resolved?

Comment

Ok, changed centers, same company. Not getting iron headaches, they changed to Venofer. However, now I get a headache after every treatment. They cannot take fluid, I don't gain at all. But why headaches now?

One difference is the salt load is usually at the beginning of treatment, so today they ran even. Not as bad of a headache, but still there. Grrr

Comment

if the only thing I do best is the last thing you told me when I hurt so much darkness, it is best for migraine or `so relieved meno
                        garcias
                        Greetings

regalos

Comment

The most common headaches are probably caused by contracted muscles in the shoulders, neck, scalp and jaw. These are called tension headaches. These headaches are often associated with stress, depression or anxiety.

The fact that we work too much, not enough sleep, skipping meals and using alcohol or drugs can make you more susceptible to them. Also, the headaches may be triggered by:

Cheese
                          Chocolate
                          Monosodium glutamate (MSG)
                          People who consume caffeine can have headaches when they get their usual daily amount.

regalos

Comment

My mother is also experiencing bad headaches, she has been on dialysis for seven months, they keep on telling us, that with time the headaches will get better, what I noticed, is that
                            her BP has changed from low to high, however, her headaches are constantly present,
                            by the time she recovers and feels a bit better, it is time to go back to the clinic.

Comment

Well, sitting here with the dialysis day headache. Wednesday, I had a lot to do so I asked them to run slower, they did and I did not get a bad headache, completed all my projects. So I am going to ask for that again. It is allergy season, but that is a different kind of headache - guess I get to discover all the types! Hope we can figure this out and let each other know what helps.

Comment

Are most of you with headaches on hemo dialysis? I'm on PD, and hardly ever get headaches anymore. I used to get them all the time prior to going on dialysis.
                                Diagnosed with PKD in 1992
                                On transplant list since Dec. 2009
                                Peritoneal dialysis since March 2010

Comment

Working...
                                X