X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• failed fistula surgeries

I am recovering from my second fistula surgery and neither were productive. The first one didn't take and the second one the Dr. said my veins were too small. So I am back to square one. They say they will put in a line when I am ready to start Dialysis.( whatever that means) I am so disappointed.My level is at 2.5 right now. Only the good Lord can intervene right now.

I know exactly how you feel. I had one attempt at a fistula, and it was probably clotted before I even left the hospital. I went in for a second attempt, and my doc said my veins were just too small for a fistula, so he put in a graft (synthetic tube connecting the artery to the vein). Most likely what he meant by "put in a line" was that he will put a catheter in your neck or chest. It's the least desirable kind of access, but it does the job, and it can be used right after it is put in. Maybe your vascular surgeon could try a graft, because even though a catheter can work really well, a graft would be a lot better. Hopefully you won't have to go on dialysis for a long time, though. Take care, and you'll be in my prayers.

Adam
    When my emotions start to cramp, the Lord turns off my UF and gives me some saline.

Comment

failed fistula ops

Hi Granny
      from another granny!

Like you I have so far 2 failed fistulas in my left arm.

1st op was February they tried one in my wrist but was no good. Same time another just below my inner elbow. Seemed Ok for aweek or so had abeat not really a buzz. so it failed.

2nd Op was end of June again in left arm just above the inner elbow. Had a super buzz so was well pleased. 7th July got a infection had a course of antibiotics. 8th July had it checked by the surgeon all was OK. 9th July before going to bed checked for a buzz my self. Nothing no buzz at all. Next mornign contacted my renal unit a nurse cam to the house. she agreed it had failed. We think because of the infection.

Before all this happened I did ask about failed ops. Was told nex t would try my right arm then if that failed would leave me till I needed dialysis. Kidney funciton has been stable for ayear at 12%. So living in hope it will all get sorted it time.
      Audrey
      Kidney problems starrted 1980's when I had Saracoidosis
      Recenty started HD at my local renal u Init in Telford.Still having a few problems with my 2nd line.

Comment

To granny:6830

Originally posted by granny View Post
        Hi Granny
        from another granny!

Like you I have so far 2 failed fistulas in my left arm.

1st op was February they tried one in my wrist but was no good. Same time another just below my inner elbow. Seemed Ok for aweek or so had abeat not really a buzz. so it failed.

2nd Op was end of June again in left arm just above the inner elbow. Had a super buzz so was well pleased. 7th July got a infection had a course of antibiotics. 8th July had it checked by the surgeon all was OK. 9th July before going to bed checked for a buzz my self. Nothing no buzz at all. Next mornign contacted my renal unit a nurse cam to the house. she agreed it had failed. We think because of the infection.

Before all this happened I did ask about failed ops. Was told nex t would try my right arm then if that failed would leave me till I needed dialysis. Kidney funciton has been stable for ayear at 12%. So living in hope it will all get sorted it time.
        Hi Granny, My function is at 17% but I feel lousy. Thank you for responding. For a while I thought I was the only one with the problem.I do blood work every 6 weeks and hopefuly I will stay stable. What do you do to stay stable? Do you do a strict diet or are you flexible I didn't respond sooner cause my internet was on the blinks. Now I'm back full swing.HA! HA! Grannyj180

Comment

how do I stay stable

well I don't know really....................

I don't drink or smoke at all, drink does not agreee with me. Am now having acid problems so lay off fizzy drinks, also citrus juices. I tend to only drink water, tea and cranberry juice as I get lots of urine infections.

Food I eat well lean meats, plenty ofr fresh veggies & fruit. We don't eat much tinned or frozen foods.

Trying to loose weight so I can go on the transplant list.

I gave up chocolate that was hard!!

If foods are bad for me I just don't buy them saves temptation.

Just live one day at a time there is always tomorrow.
          Audrey
          Recenty started HD at my local renal u Init in Telford.Still having a few problems with my 2nd line.

Comment

When I was at 17% and felt lousy, it was because I was dehydrated and not following my renal diet very well. I was nauseous and weak all the time. I also was very anemic. ProCrit injections helped the anemia a lot and following my diet which restricts sodium, potassium, phosphorus, and protein. Talk to your neph about a referral to a renal dietitian. He/she will help you a lot. The diet that granny180 describes is pretty normal, with severe restrictions on the amount of protein. But everyone is different. You need to get your own diet prescription which is guaged not only to your bloodwork numbers but also your tastes in food. Be sure the dietitian is a renal dietitian. Regular hospital dietitians mean well, but they often do not know all our restrictions or how to implement them.
            To the stars through difficulty!

Comment

another fistula op

well am booked for a 3rd fistula op this coming Wednesday so hope it works this time!
              Audrey

Comment

Your vascular surgeon should be able to tell from the sonogram if a fistula will be successful. Hopefully they have done a thorough one before each attempt.
                Whatever does not kill me makes me stronger...Neitzsche
                Flip

Comment

failed fistula surgeries

My mother in law has had 4 failed fistula surgeries. They finally put in a graft which seems to be working for her. She has had shunts and she also has small veins.

Comment

After one or two failures, I would be looking for a new surgeon.
                    Whatever does not kill me makes me stronger...Neitzsche
                    Flip

Comment

My mother just had her fistula removed. Her arm was infected with mrsa. They had to remove it because it was just to infected. They will have to go back into another area in her arm, and put in another one when the infection goes away. I am worried so much. I can't breathe. All I do is cry. I'm afraid that I will get a call when the news of her death. She's all I have. I want to visit her, but held back because I don't want her to worry about me.

Comment