Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need suggestions for taping PD cath

Hello everyone,
    I am new here. My husband had a PD Cath inserted this past week. Because he was bleeding constantly, (finally stopped after Dr. added a stitch) I have had to change the dressing.
    I can not get any tape to hold the cath in place. No matter what I do the tape comes loose. I have tried butterflying the tape around the cath and I've used, paper, cloth, and plastic tape trying different things. His shirt lifts the tape each time he moves around.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance,
    Debbie

Re: Need suggestions for taping PD cath

Originally posted by daalger View Post
    Hello everyone,
    I am new here. My husband had a PD Cath inserted this past week. Because he was bleeding constantly, (finally stopped after Dr. added a stitch) I have had to change the dressing.
    I can not get any tape to hold the cath in place. No matter what I do the tape comes loose. I have tried butterflying the tape around the cath and I've used, paper, cloth, and plastic tape trying different things. His shirt lifts the tape each time he moves around.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance,
    Debbie
    Hi Debbie,

I do the butterflying around the cath and then I have an ace bandage that I wrap around my tummy and fold the cath in half and place it under the bandage, if you do this you need to be careful that it isn't too tight just tight enough to hold the catheter under it. It works most of the time and my cath doesn't hang all the time. It is just a thought. I have been trying to make a belt instead but just haven't had any luck yet.

Have a great weekend girl!!
    Patty
    Patty Lewis
    Stage 5 CKD
    PD Dialysis since Dec 2009
    On transplant list July 15, 2011
    patty.lewis 19@ yahoo.com

Comment

Thanks Patty,
      I'll try that.
      :-)

Comment

Hello,

I keep thinking about my little doxie who developed a bad back and became incontinent, (RIP my little man!). I went to the fabric store and got spandex material and some velcro and sewed him a belly band to hold a sanitary pad so he wouldn't have accidents in the house. Worked like a charm!

You can get it snug without it being too tight. Just a thought if you can't find exactly what you're looking for, make one to suit you and to hold the bandaging in place!
        Create signature while not logged in, edited through forums.davita.com on 08/15/2012 @ 12:53!!!!!

Comment

Try going to Target and in the maternity section you can buy "Belly Bands" or the brand name is "Be Bands." I think they come in two or three different sizes. It's a large elastic band that goes around pregnant bellies, but it works like a charm for those of us with PD bellies. The catheter stays in place and doesn't move around. I tried all types of tapes too and the ace bandages as well. The belly bands have worked the best for me.
          Diagnosed with PKD in 1992
          On transplant list since Dec. 2009
          Peritoneal dialysis since March 2010

Comment

Thank you everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by daalger View Post
              Hello everyone,
              Any suggestions?
              Thanks in advance,
              Debbie
              I wonder if the tape isn't sticking because of the gooey residue from the dressing they use post surgery.
              They do sell a product at medical suppy stores to remove the residue left behind.
              He can also apply a wet washcloth ( I used warm-hot water, not too hot that it will burn), to the area but not on the exit site. Leave it on for a maybe 25 seconds-1 minute. The gooey residue will peel off.

I always used medipore tape (or cloth tape) http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...beB385P3RT67gl. I used 1/2 inch and 1 inch tapes. The tape never came off unless a corner was left hanging and it got caught on my clothes.
              It was great because it didn't irritate my skin, and since it's cloth it breaths. You can shower with it, stays put. It comes right off, when you pull on it, leaving minumal residue. That's when you use the wet washcloth.

The paper tape I didn't care for too much. It always irritated my skin if left on for long periods of time (over night), and when I showered, it really was a huge mess to get off my skin.

Take care!
              I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Comment

Hi.. My husband does dialysis at home and he does not tape his cath to his belly.. his PD nurse gave him a pregnancy band, They are thin enough so he does not sweat nor is it overly tight. When he showers he just lets it hang down... (sorry cannot think of a different way of saying it ) Here is what it is for those who are not sure what I am talking about. http://www.target.com/p/Be-Maternity...s/-/A-11084904

I know wal-mart does not sell them but amazon and other websites do as well as target I hope this helps.

Comment

Belly bands are great! I have one from target and the rest I bought on ebay...
                  I have different colors....so if it accidentally shows on the bottom of my shirt...it looks like a tank......love love them...where them all the time. They arent tight but snug enough to hold in cath. line

Comment

Working...
                  X