No announcement yet.

New Kidney Cookbook Author Needs Input!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Kidney Cookbook Author Needs Input!

I'm in the beginning stages of writing a cookbook for kidney disease patients and their caregivers. My goal is to create a cookbook that is easy to use, full of delicious recipes, but most importantly reflects the needs of this community. Making the switch to cooking renal diet can be difficult and confusing. Their are relatively few renal cookbooks on the market resulting in a lack of variety (and sometimes flavor) in the kitchen. I've developed a quick survey for kidney disease patients and their caregivers so I can truly understand what their needs are and the foods they like to eat. I hope to survey a wide demographic of people from all over the country. If you, or anyone you know, are interested in participating in the survey I would greatly appreciate you getting in touch!

Thank you,

Elizabeth

Re: New Kidney Cookbook Author Needs Input!

Elizabeth, I would be happy to give you any information about my situation that I am able.
    Earthsong

Comment

I would be glad to participate as well.I have a few pretty nifty concoctions myself that you might like.
      ckd,stage3,due to birth defect/refulx,controlled b/p

Comment

Thank you all for your support! I'll post the survey and send it as a message as well. If you have favorite recipes you'd like to share, please send them along. Please label recipes with your name, and if you're interested in participating with the cookbook. Thank you!

Comment

Survey Questions:

Introduction: Thank you in advance for taking the time to complete this survey on cooking for a Renal diet. The goal of the survey is to gain a better understanding of your cooking goals, challenges, cuisine preferences and cooking habits.

1. When cooking for a kidney diet, are you cooking for
          a. Yourself
          b. Your partner
          c. Your entire family

2. What kidney diet are you cooking for
          a. CKD non-dialysis diet
          b. Hemodialysis diet
          c. Peritoneal dialysis diet

3. If you could have it your own way, how might you describe your ideal meal?
          a. Specialized for one person
          b. Family friendly
          c. Dinner guest friendly

4. Where do you source your recipes?
          a. I make them up based on non-renal diet recipes I know
          b. Websites
          c. Specialized cookbooks
          d. Other_______

5. What are the greatest challenges you face with respect to cooking for a kidney diet? (please select your top 3)
          a. It is difficult to understand the sodium, potassium and phosphate levels of what I cook
          b. The food is not appealing to other members at the table
          c. The ingredients necessary to keep the diet healthy are hard to find
          d. The ingredients necessary to keep the diet healthy are expensive
          e. I don’t have time
          f. It is difficult to find a variety of recipes that would keep the meal interesting
          g. Other_________________________

6. What types of cuisines would you prefer to be able to cook in a kidney friendly way?
          a. Asian (Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Korean)
          b. Mediterranean
          c. Southern
          d. Italian
          e. French
          f. American Comfort Foods
          g. New American
          h. Vegetarian
          i. Traditional American

7. What cuisines have you been unable to find/create good kidney friendly recipes for?
          a. Asian (Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Korean)
          b. Mediterranean
          c. Southern
          d. Italian
          e. French
          f. American Comfort Foods
          g. New American
          h. Vegetarian
          i. Traditional American
          j. Other_________

8. How would you describe your eating preferences? Please pick you top 3
          a. Keep it simple
          b. Lowest price possible
          c. Healthy
          d. Limit processed foods, artificial coloring & sweeteners
          e. Use fresh ingredients when possible

9. How often would you find yourself needing to cook a more extensive or fancy kidney friendly meal?
          a. Every day
          b. Once a week
          c. Once a month
          d. A few times per year
          e. Never

10. How would you rank the following in terms of importance for any renal diet recipe?
          a. Cost effective
          b. Time effective
          c. Have a small number of ingredients
          d. Interesting flavors
          e. Requires few cooking implements

11. Where do you normally shop?
          a. Corner store
          b. Large chain grocery store
          c. Whole foods or other Natural Foods Markets
          d. Farmer’s markets
          e. Other__________

12. What meals do you struggle with the most when looking for kidney friendly meals?
          a. Breakfasts
          b. Lunches
          c. Dinner
          d. Snacks
          e. Meals for dinner parties/gatherings
          f. Seasonal recipes
          g. Sauces/condiments
          h. Baked goods
          i. Desserts

13. When you cook, which of the following cooking tools do you typically use?
          a. Grill
          b. Blender
          c. Crockpot
          d. Food processor
          e. Measuring cups/spoons etc
          f. Other___________

Comment

Great, thank you! Here is the link to the survey:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/7PC86DD

Comment

Just joined the forum and saw your post. We are interested in your cookbook idea and would be glad to take the survey. My mother's appetite is decreasing and she says everything tastes 'flat' .I imagine part of this is physical and part the mental turn-off of peritonetal dialysis. Please let us know how we can help!

Comment

For what it's worth, it seems to me that when my husband's blood test results are really good, his appetite is better and food tastes better If he is dehydrated or his tests are not great, then he just doesn't feel good or like eating. Hydration is a big thing. We have learned to weigh him daily and adjust his dialysis accordingly....change solutions, leave him empty for a while, or pull off more fluid, etc. Antibiotics taken for other problems also seem to affect his taste buds more than before he was on dialysis.

Comment

Originally posted by Pippa View Post
                  I'm in the beginning stages of writing a cookbook for kidney disease patients and their caregivers. My goal is to create a cookbook that is easy to use, full of delicious recipes, but most importantly reflects the needs of this community. Making the switch to cooking renal diet can be difficult and confusing. Their are relatively few renal cookbooks on the market resulting in a lack of variety (and sometimes flavor) in the kitchen. I've developed a quick survey for kidney disease patients and their caregivers so I can truly understand what their needs are and the foods they like to eat. I hope to survey a wide demographic of people from all over the country. If you, or anyone you know, are interested in participating in the survey I would greatly appreciate you getting in touch!

Thank you,

Elizabeth
                  Elizabeth, I will pass out your survey at the Kidney Expo this weekend and at my dialysis unit. I am expecting to have quite a few responses. Do you have a mailing address that I can send them to? It might be easier to just mail them.

Thanks

in center hemo dialysis since May 2009
                  Sudden ESRD - non diabetic (but have 2 at home)
                  turned down for list "lack of support" WHAT!!! starting over at different transplant center)

Comment

I love cooking, and often when I eat on the balcony I look at the stars, recently I learned what horoscopes are and I really liked the topic and If you are into horoscopes I would like to recommend the website https://www.sunsigns.org/august-16-b...c-leo-amiable/ I myself am often fascinated and looking for information on my horoscope. And it is here that I found a lot of interesting information about my date of birth. I did not even notice how time flew by reading the information on this site. I recommend it.
                    Last edited by derrec; 02-18-2022, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X