phosphorous blockers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• phosphorous blockers

Hi everyone I haven't posted in awhile I try not to bother you all unless I have a concern I learn so much from all the other posts anyhow

My husband is currently pre dialysis his gfr is 16 and the other number that I have watch is either his creatinine (serum) which is 3.8 or the bun/rea ratio which is 4.5 I know we are getting close to the time

here is my question (finally) his hemotologist referred him to a gastroenterologist to make sure all the vomiting was because of the kidneys they performed an upper endoscopy because the cat scan showed a thickening of the stomach lining. the gastroenterologist came back with no tumors or cancers but the walls are thick plus he tested positive for h-pylori

my husband doesn't tolerate nexium or pepcid so they are treating it with 2 seperate antibiotics and bismuth ( pepto-bismol) 4 times a day for 2 weeks

the nephrologists currently has him on 2 tums before meals as a phosphorous blocker because he doesn't tolerate phoslo either

do you all think bismuth might work in the same way as the tums?

As always thank you all of you in advance for your answers I come back and read them daily.

JLYSDI

Annie

No, it doesn't work like TUMS. It works to coat the stomach lining whereas TUMS binds with acid in the stomach. TUMS also contains calcium which can act as a phosphorous binder.
    To the stars through difficulty!

Comment

ty for the quick response

Comment

Re: phosphorous blockers

So, if you take 4-6 TUMS a day is there no need to take the supplemtn phosphorus binders?

Comment

Please don't self-medicate with the TUMS. I was on the TUMS for a while as a phosphorus binder. They have to be taken immediately before a meal to be in the stomach when the food gets there. Also, my doctor took me off them after a while because my calcium levels got too high. Check with your dr. first, but if called for, they are a good, inexpensive alternative to the other phosphorus binders.
          It's not about waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

Tums and calcium carbonate tablets both work as phosphorous binders, but they are not as efficient as the purpose made phosphorous binders. They are, however, much, much less expensive (Renagel costs about $500 for a month's supply if you don't have insurance) so many nephs use them as a first response to high phosphorous levels. But you should definitely not self-medicate in this area as the phosphorous/calcium/parathyroid hormone balance is a delicate one and not to be managed by amateurs.

Comment

The calcium issue is indeed a delicate balancing act. I take Renagel, but was also taking tums for acidosis. My parathyroid hormone went crazy. It was in the 800's. They had me on Sensipar 30 mg. then to 60 mg. and now a whopping 90 mg. My parathyroid is down to 376. Still high, but getting into the zone. Thank Goodness! I really don't want that renal bone disease. Scares me silly! Needless to say, Tums are few and far between now. I understand Pepcid AC is a good acid controller. Anyone?

Comment

Are you still taking the Tums for acidosis? My dr. had me on Sodium Bicarbonate tablets for that.
                It's not about waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

I do take sodium bicarbonate for acidosis (4 a day). I am sorry as I was referring to heartburn acid and not acidosis as I wrote. I still have heartburn after taking the sodium bicarb, especially after I walk or bike. I am just cutting back on the Tums. Too much calcium...

Comment

Has your dr. tried you on something like Prevacid, Prilosec, Protonix, or Nexiuum? I take Prilosec and it is pretty effective in suppressing the acid indigestion.

Comment

Thank you for the recommendations chefnancy! I will ask her next time I see her. You are such a wealth of good information! What a blessing you are to so many! Thanks Again!

Comment

Working...
                      X